Glaze Question From The Beginner

Hello,

excuse me for the stupid question, I try to figure out the producer of the glazes that are used in following works (glazed over porcelain).

Will be grateful for any advice.

Update - I'm interested in any glazes with the same effects, that can look good on small pieces, so if you have any ideas about manufacturers of similar glazes please let me know!

post-81699-0-68561000-1484745455_thumb.jpg

post-81699-0-05816300-1484745458_thumb.jpg

post-81699-0-14790800-1484745462_thumb.jpg

Hi Mary and welcome to these forums.

Don't think that is a stupid question but perhaps an impossible one to answer. Cone 10 or 6 porcelain, from which supplier or even which country? Fired in oxidation or reduction? Do you know how many glazes on each piece? All I would be willing to guess at would be rutile, iron, and probably copper for the colourants in at least one boron glaze(s).

hello, new people always ask questions that can only be answered with "it depends" or "maybe".  the field is so large and possible glaze formulas are so many and varied that there is no way to answer that question.  everyone here started where you are today.  some of us have been around awhile and still do not know much.

are you totally new to all aspects of ceramics?  are you a student in an organized program like a school or are you just fascinated by the possibilities of making something beautiful?

Hi Mary and welcome to these forums.

Don't think that is a stupid question but perhaps an impossible one to answer. Cone 10 or 6 porcelain, from which supplier or even which country? Fired in oxidation or reduction? Do you know how many glazes on each piece? All I would be willing to guess at would be rutile, iron, and probably copper for the colourants in at least one boron glaze(s).

Hi, Min, thank you for your answer! I'm interested in approximately the same effects of the glazes so if you have any ideas about the similar effect glazes from any supplier, it would be great for me )) I'm sure these were fired in oxidation and I know they are high fire glazes...

hello, new people always ask questions that can only be answered with "it depends" or "maybe".  the field is so large and possible glaze formulas are so many and varied that there is no way to answer that question.  everyone here started where you are today.  some of us have been around awhile and still do not know much.

are you totally new to all aspects of ceramics?  are you a student in an organized program like a school or are you just fascinated by the possibilities of making something beautiful?

Hello, thank you for the answer! I worked with ceramics many years ago... I just want to have approximately the same effects on my small items so I'm looking for the supplier of the glazes that can look approximately the same...

My advice: instead of trying to achieve a certain look you have seen, get some glazes and work with the pallet you have. What is possible in your world is what you need to discover.

Anyways, most of the pieces seem to feature a rutile blue glaze. It is fairly common type of glaze and an effect I would expect to see in a commercial glazes range. If you ask your supplier for a "rutile blue" glaze hopefully they would point you to one.

I really second Matthew's advice. If you know the original artist is in Spain, unless you are also in Europe, you will be using different materials. You don't have your location in your profile, and that would be helpful, so we can give you good information. Where you are in the world will affect what people can recommend that you can actually get your hands on.

Clays are expensive to ship long distances, so people tend to rely on what is available from a more-or-less local supplier. As an example, soda or potash feldspars are available all over the world to some degree, but their composition will vary. A recipe for glaze that works in the US won't work the same way if English, Canadian, or Australian materials are substituted in. It might be similar, but it won't be identical.

The blue and green glaze will be simple enough to recreate in a couple of different ways. An Internet search tailored to what temperature you want to fire to should provide either a commercial supplier that has what you want, or a base glaze that you can test. The red is usually a bit trickier, and what kind of kiln you have available will dictate how you have to go about it.

I really second Matthew's advice. If you know the original artist is in Spain, unless you are also in Europe, you will be using different materials. You don't have your location in your profile, and that would be helpful, so we can give you good information. Where you are in the world will affect what people can recommend that you can actually get your hands on.

Clays are expensive to ship long distances, so people tend to rely on what is available from a more-or-less local supplier. As an example, soda or potash feldspars are available all over the world to some degree, but their composition will vary. A recipe for glaze that works in the US won't work the same way if English, Canadian, or Australian materials are substituted in. It might be similar, but it won't be identical.

The blue and green glaze will be simple enough to recreate in a couple of different ways. An Internet search tailored to what temperature you want to fire to should provide either a commercial supplier that has what you want, or a base glaze that you can test. The red is usually a bit trickier, and what kind of kiln you have available will dictate how you have to go about it.

Thank you so much for your advice, Diesel Clay!

My advice: instead of trying to achieve a certain look you have seen, get some glazes and work with the pallet you have. What is possible in your world is what you need to discover.

Anyways, most of the pieces seem to feature a rutile blue glaze. It is fairly common type of glaze and an effect I would expect to see in a commercial glazes range. If you ask your supplier for a "rutile blue" glaze hopefully they would point you to one.

Thank you so much for your advice, Matthew!

The third looks like like Potter's Choice by Amaco, likely combos of Indigo Float, Texture Turquoise, Seaweed, and Smokey Merlot. You'll find more info on commercial glazes on Amaco's Facebook page. Not sure about the first two, maybe oxide wash was applied first and a celadon type glaze over it?

I think most cobalt blues with react that way with another glaze and go to a bright blue. You should test. Find a cobalt blue and the green may be a chrome green and start mixing them with clear glazes. It seeks the flat pieces really held a lot of glaze. 

Marcia

Thank you so much, Marcia! I'll make tests with cobalt blues!

The third looks like like Potter's Choice by Amaco, likely combos of Indigo Float, Texture Turquoise, Seaweed, and Smokey Merlot. You'll find more info on commercial glazes on Amaco's Facebook page. Not sure about the first two, maybe oxide wash was applied first and a celadon type glaze over it?

Thank you so much, Nancy! I have only one glaze of Potter's Choice at the moment - Tourmaline, and I didn't receive any interesting effects using it so I thought Amaco isn't what I need.

But after your advice I'll try to use other Potter's Choice glazes! Thank you ♥

MarySmith how do you look at glazes? online or at a store. its a different experience. at the store you can actually see the actual cup or bowl of how the glaze turned out.

also a lot of the glazemakers have come up with many different kinds of glazes. plain ones as well as variegated ones. 

MarySmith how do you look at glazes? online or at a store. its a different experience. at the store you can actually see the actual cup or bowl of how the glaze turned out.

also a lot of the glazemakers have come up with many different kinds of glazes. plain ones as well as variegated ones. 

Preeta, I don't have any stores for ceramists nearby and that's why I have to choose glazes online ...

Archived