Other Uses For Terra Sig

I use it on barrel fired work, but that is still low fired stuff. I may be wrong but it is my understanding of sig that if you use it on higher fired work that it loses it's sheen, but I haven't had enough experience with it to tell you for sure as I have not taken it to higher temps myself. I haven't heard of it flaking off at higher temps, would imagine if it "fits" your clay body that it could be used like a slip?? Perhaps testing is in order?? You never know, through testing it you may come up with a new technique or application for sig. The only problem I have encountered is flaking where I have applied it too thickly. I am sure there are others here that know more than I do.

Terra Sigallata can be used to make earthenware clay impermeable to water. This use has largely been replaced by fully vitrified work (and plastics).

It can be used in earthenware oxidation firings to give a skin-like sheen to a piece. Useful if you wish to make figures with bare clay.

I use it on my sagger pots both ceramic and foil. It really picks up the fuming from the chemicals at the low temperatures and doesn't lose the sheen. I have also used it for smooth obvara pieces. Maybe its just me, but I think the obvara does some cool patterns of the smooth finish.

The greeks used it for the red and black ware by using 2 different T.S. and firing one to the sintering temperature and then reducing. T he Romans used it in their Barbotine ware to seal the surface as Matthew said.

Some ceramic sculptors use it for a nice finish for the surface even overfiring it to high temps. 

Marcia

I use terra sigillata (TS) on  stoneware to reduce the 'scratch-ness' of the bottoms of some pots. 

I also use TS made with local red clays as a decorative 'stain' for making marks on stoneware (cone 10) pots in areas that will be unglazed.  The TS mark will have different visual and tactile textures than the surrounding area. 

LT

Archived