Respirators

Greetings!

This is my first post, and it's an exciting one! I have a problem with my 3M Respirator. It's kinda big and my glasses have to sit up a bit for it to fit properly on my face. And the straps are terrible for my head posture-- I notice a lot of neck tension over time. Are there certain respirators that women artists have found particularly comfortable?  

I have the basic mask from Home Depot. It appears they've upgraded the model, so I don't see exactly what I own, but I'm hoping people have one that they love.

Anything to make wood firing more joyous!

Obliged,

Amy

Guest JBaymore

A safety specialty place is a good resource for many women.  respirators DO come is sizes.  Most "big box" type storesdo not stock the full run of sizes.

Here is one such place:  http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/3m-half-face-respirators.html

You say "wood firing".  What function are you using a respirator for when wood firing?  Are you using it for loading / unloading?

best,

.................john

I use it when cleaning shelves, chiseling the kiln floor, sweeping, dremel work-- all the fun stuff! I don't use it for loading/unloading.

I see that there is a drop-down, in a small size at that site! If anyone uses that type and would recommend it for ergonomics, I'd love to hear it!

Guest JBaymore

Amy,

If you read that OSHA thing I gave the link to and watch the video .... if it were an employee situation (like your friend at Utah State) there is a legal required way that they HAVE to do the fit testing.  They also have to do required medical monitoring.

You are your own boss on your studio job (I am assuming here).  So 'your boss' needs to decide how close to the OSHA standards her employee is going to be required to go. 

You really want that mask to fit (and seal).  If it doesn't........ you really aren't protected like you think you are. 

One "quick and dirty" (and not OSHA legal) way to test that is SIMILAR to the required test............. get a container of some nice stinky chemical solvent like turpentine.  Stack a set of chemical organic vapor cartridges on the mask (instead of the P-100 or stacked under them).  Seal the respirator on your face as you normally do.  (Carefully) Open the container of turpentine within a few feet of your face.  If you smell the slightest hint of the turpentine.... it is not sealed.

"Official" test smelly material is something called Isoamyl acetate....or "banana oil". INTENSE smell of bananas at low concentrations.  And it uses the organic vapor cartridges.  You can buy it here:  https://www.amazon.com/Isoamyl-Phenyl-Acetate-Purity-Compound/dp/B00J09MJ38/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484538784&sr=8-1&keywords=isoamyl+acetate

best,

...................john

amy, joseph f on this website found a great one and i got the same kind.  it fits very well with my glasses and is comfortable.  i am computer illiterate but i bet you can find his post on it.  the picture is of bright pink filters.  i do not have one here so i cannot give the name.

Archived