#21 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,579 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:22 AM

Chesapeake ceramics in baltimore, md sells to the paint your own businesses.  if that is what you are looking for, contact them.  paint your own shops seem to have arrangements with certain suppliers almost like an exclusivity contract.  maybe the local one, wherever you live, can direct you.

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#22 JamesP

JamesP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:36 AM

I Googled ... pottery bisqueware wholesale shows ... and names popped up of places you could probably call to ask what show they go to buy supplies.

It would not be a typical wholesale craft show as that is all finished ceramics ... you are looking at a commercial level wholesale show where you would be competing with factories. A shop near me gets their bisque from France, Italy and China ... so you could also call your local paint your own pottery store to see how they get their supplies.

Unless you can produce huge volumes of bisque ware you might be better off establishing relationships with local stores whose customers might appreciate working with handmade items.

I thought maybe someone on this form post might have known of some shows. It seems kind of like a close nit community. I say this because I make pipes and everyone knows which shows to go to but this industry is different. I make ceramic pipes that it seems few make and I would care to start testing out the waters of selling bisq fired pipes instead of only finished ones. But I do understand production and factories pumping out 10s of thousands of items. I am only at thousands right now but that is still pretty good for a one man operation. So maybe ill do some calling maybe marc or someone knows of some shows, we shall see. Thanks so far though 

#23 JamesP

JamesP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:39 AM

I know two of the 6 shops I have shopped have large selections of bisque that I think they make in-house. I would imagine this is an indicator that other pottery supply might well be interested in carrying a line. Is your line slip cast?

Yes it is, stoneware cone 5 to 10. Of course I would only bisq fire them 04 but the future customer could use a glaze range cone 5 to 10. So yea maybe ill call some of these places or try out amazon!??

#24 Stephen

Stephen

novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:59 AM

Hey supply shops might work for pipes but I think their main customers are the PYOP shops and I think they would be a bad fit from what I know because its model is built mostly around events such as birthday parties so the supply shops might not be very interested. If they aren't you could try to go directly to studio potters who hand paint. There are some who buy tiles and such to paint and they become a good customer.

Since you say thousands I assume you have a good mold situation and now can cast them pretty quick and want to ramp up some more. Not sure how many pipes other potters are going buy but it might not make much of an impact. I can think of lots of end markets for finished pipes but not sure who the end market for bisque pipes would be that would generate any real numbers.  

Good luck! Let us know what you find.

#25 GEP

GEP

Moderator / full time potter ^6 stoneware

• Moderators
  • 1,482 posts
  • LocationSilver Spring, MD

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:48 AM

I Googled ... pottery bisqueware wholesale shows ... and names popped up of places you could probably call to ask what show they go to buy supplies.
It would not be a typical wholesale craft show as that is all finished ceramics ... you are looking at a commercial level wholesale show where you would be competing with factories. A shop near me gets their bisque from France, Italy and China ... so you could also call your local paint your own pottery store to see how they get their supplies.
Unless you can produce huge volumes of bisque ware you might be better off establishing relationships with local stores whose customers might appreciate working with handmade items.

I thought maybe someone on this form post might have known of some shows. It seems kind of like a close nit community. I say this because I make pipes and everyone knows which shows to go to but this industry is different. I make ceramic pipes that it seems few make and I would care to start testing out the waters of selling bisq fired pipes instead of only finished ones. But I do understand production and factories pumping out 10s of thousands of items. I am only at thousands right now but that is still pretty good for a one man operation. So maybe ill do some calling maybe marc or someone knows of some shows, we shall see. Thanks so far though

James,

I think you may be breaking ground on a brand new industry, so I don't know of any channels in the ceramics or craft world yet. I would pose this question to the rapidly-growing legal pot industry as well. I'm sure they have forums too. They might have some better suggestions. Also they probably can provide better guidance on the legal aspects of selling pipes. I think you'll need to target locations where this is legal. A large trade show doesn't quite make sense, because there are still many states where these are not legal.
Mea Rhee
Good Elephant Pottery
http://www.goodelephant.com

#26 Stephen

Stephen

novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:47 AM

the states where it is legal all have publicly avail list of all licensed locations on there website.

#27 Stephen

Stephen

novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:51 AM

I wanted to mention, in case u don't know, to not mail accross state lines and definately not where they pass through states that are not legal as you can get hit with charges for pipes and such.

#28 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,511 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:36 PM

I think there is more money in selling the finished product-either in wholesale or retail(web based)

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#29 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, MSU-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationRed Lodge, Montana

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:59 AM

You are close to Colorado. That seems like the obvious place to look.

Marcia

Marcia Selsor, Professor Emerita,Montana State University-Billings
[http://www.marciaselsorstudio.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users