Wooden Throwing Tools

I have various throwing tools, as I'm sure as do others, I'm beginning to wonder if I should apply some type of finish/oil to them.

I'm thinking of Boiled Linseed oil might be a good oil to use.

Any thoughts 

I have never put anything on my wooden ribs and some of them are forty years old,  I understand that petroleum jelly is  easy maintenance.  Wooden ribs are usually made out of a wood that resist water,  letting them dry overnight should take care of them.     Denice

I use linseed oil on mine, based on my own experience and that of Dutch farmers that wear wooden shoes when working in wet mud.  Without the linseed oil treatment the shoes 'rot' before they are 'worn' out.  My shoes were worn out on concrete in about 3 years, but only because of the concrete, not water damage. 

LT

Thanks LT,

Linseed oil can take months even years to dry while boiled linseed oil dries in 24 hours. I guess it can't hurt to try it on one tool and see how it goes.

I got my green soap  on eBay. It is made by 

COSCO soap and detergent company, 1930 Troulman St, Ridgewood, NY.

Here's the link to The stuff that I have on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/8oz-Bottle-Pure-Cosco-Tincture-Green-Soap-Medical-Supply-Tattoo-Made-in-USA-/252615541015?hash=item3ad10f4117:g:6SIAAOSwlfxXFkoFAnd

It's really slippery stuff.

I use a furniture finish from IKEA on my tools of late, it is just a rub on and dry off. At the same time, I made a bunch of tools in the HS and used a 50/50 of turpentine and linseed oil. I would soak the tools in this for a few hours, take them out rub them down with a cloth and let them dry. Worked real well. These days, I make some tools using bamboo kitchen tools, seems like the bamboo does not get damaged by water even when laying in it for days.   :)

best,

Pres

Thanks again, boiled linseed oil it is.

Pres, if you are talking about Behandla Wood Treatment from Ikea then that product is basically watered down boiled linseed oil.

Ron,

I don't know if the stuff in my can was boiled or not.  It was whatever was available at the hardware store.  Yea, I know there is a difference, but since there was only one type of kan at the store, I took what was available.  What I am using for my tools now, is so covered with dust it is unreadable.  Probably was boiled, but don't know.  It dries in about a day +/- , probably boiled.  Pint can ~ 30 yrs old. 

LT

Archived