RonSa

Still learning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationNortheast Pa

Posted 18 January 2017 - 04:46 PM

The downside was no returned mail from moves or death

All you need to do is add "Return Service Requested" added below the return address

http://pe.usps.com/t...qsg300/Q507.htm

ya know this is really not a bulk mailing and wouldn't save much to presort a few hundred names.

How often do you plan on mailing to each shop per year?

Break even is twice a year

Ron

#22 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,129 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:23 PM

Ron that got me thinking -yes thats what I had printed on them but now I remember those details . It takes a long time for them to filter back for time sensitive studio sale dates and 1st class meant I could correct the address and send them out and still get the customer maybe-vs them driving is week avatar the sale. Keep in mind this was 3 decades ago.I just switched to postcard format and saves a ton and got 1st class service.

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#23 Stephen

Stephen

novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:25 PM

The downside was no returned mail from moves or death

All you need to do is add "Return Service Requested" added below the return address

http://pe.usps.com/t...qsg300/Q507.htm

ya know this is really not a bulk mailing and wouldn't save much to presort a few hundred names.

Ya know Ron I don't think these mailings be worth presorting and may not even hit the minimums. If they do it will likely be just barely. With the permit fees and annual renewal fees it usually doesn't make sense for tiny mailings like this is going to be. But you are right I should keep it in mind if the mailings get larger so I will go get the latest prices and minimums so I can grab one if and when it makes sense. I had just kind of dismissed it out of hand, thanks for reminding me about ways to cut cost, always appreciated :)

How often? Twice a year push for sure but prob more. Mea said that Feb and June are the two important months for pitches so I will definitely always put a piece out to my entire prospect list those two months. Developing retail B2B is heavy on branding as well and I am looking at this as a long term process of constant marketing to my identified prospects. I want to own the data and clean and update it myself. I also plan to wear a little shoe leather out and visit a lot of shops over time. I got into this business because I enjoy making and selling my work so that part of the process is something i look forward to. My hearing means no phone calls but I do fine in person.

I think you have to do presort first class to get returns, bulk is just carrier route and there are no returns as far as I know.  

Deisel good idea, was thinking no as I don't want to get sideways with a prospect on spam but ur right some shops might be fine with it. I am going to try and work through websites so I will look for any shops that have an email posted for pitches and will use it if they do.

Mark, thanks for mentioning postcards, might be a good thing to do in between Feb and Jun as a prompt here and there or as an announcement if I add a line to wholesale? 

You guys are great, keep the suggestions coming! 

#24 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:09 AM

stephen, can you let us know what city you are considering or is that a secret?  want to be able to picture you walking all over   BIG CITY  wearing out your shoes.

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#25 RonSa

RonSa

Still learning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationNortheast Pa

Posted 19 January 2017 - 10:04 AM

I think you have to do presort first class to get returns, bulk is just carrier route and there are no returns as far as I know.  

You do get returns from bulk mail (now called Marketing Mail - last year it was called Standard mail) you just need to make sure you place the correct Ancillary Service Endorsement on the mail piece

Minimum mailing is 200

Permit: $215

Software: $80

Per Piece: $0.24 (there are lower rates depending on a handful of variables)

The place where you had your printing done may have mailing services too, check with them. If so you will not need the permit or the software.

Ron that got me thinking -yes thats what I had printed on them but now I remember those details . It takes a long time for them to filter back for time sensitive studio sale dates and 1st class meant I could correct the address and send them out and still get the customer maybe-vs them driving is week avatar the sale. Keep in mind this was 3 decades ago.I just switched to postcard format and saves a ton and got 1st class service.

I used to get most of address corrections back within a week. Every so often a straggler or two may show up later. This was just the early part of last year.

Post Card rate: $0.34

==============

Stephan, Mark does have a good idea on postcards.

I used to mail out 8.5" x 11" post cards, full color both sides, nice heavy weight glossy stock, what an attention grabber. Its almost impossible to miss seeing something at that size. Even if the person receiving the mail tosses it there is a better chance of them seeing something they like and may take a longer look. And that's what its all about.

Max size for flats: 12" x 15"

Market Mailing flats: $0.35

I don't think twice a year is enough to get people to remember you.  I would be very interested in hearing your results.

Ron

#26 RonSa

RonSa

Still learning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationNortheast Pa

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:02 AM

I forgot to add

If you use "Address Service Requested" you'll get forwarding and the new address. You'll pay a fee (equal to a postage stamp) for the new address.

Ron

#27 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,092 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:52 PM

Quality of contacts over quantity will pay higher dividends.

Take the time to sort them down so your time spent has a better chance of paying off.
Take the time to go to their websites ... many you will eliminate in under one minute.
What you will be left with is a quality mailing list that is worth your time and $$$$$$$$

Those that look promising might have a link to how they like to receive proposals for new work. Some of these are very specific as regards to images and programs.
Galleries that make you drool might be worth a personal visit ( on a slow weekday ) to meet someone and ask how they like to get new work ... then, when you submit, you have a name to mention.

Galleries are always on the look out for new work ... so best wishes and Good Luck!!
Chris Campbell Pottery
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
http://ccpottery.com/

>TRY ... FAIL ... LEARN ... REPEAT"

" If a sufficient number of people are different, no one has to be normal "

Fredrick Bachman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users