Brent Cxc Wheel Problem: Full Speed At Power On And Trips Circuit Breaker

solarvalue

Yeah but at the same time the poster states it's tripping the gfci, it's possible it's an afci since they look almost identical.  That's what I'd vote for, since if it was a GFCI being tripped it would mean it's somehow finding ground.  Either that or a rogue breaker, but you'd think just about anything would trip it at that point.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not read through all these but the motor in the perpetual on position usually means the triac is stuck on. Triacs fail closed and open probably with equal frequency so the test without a foot pedal almost ensures no gate current therefore the triac is likely stuck on.

An interesting observation if I look at the triac in the diagram  posted earlier it can handle 10 amps with a peak voltage of 400 v. 240v single phase rms  is probably 340 volts peak so a  bit  too close for comfort  in my view. This would be great in a 120v design. Fortunately they make triacs in 500v and 600v models that could be used if this did indeed turn out to be the issue.

ground fault leakage could be the leakage  of the triac to case ground so the symptoms seem to fit. Again, I am not sure the controll diagram posted previously is your machine so all speculation at this point.

I think its your curcuit board-(I would bet the house on in it now that your motor is working  well.)I just replaced  my curcuit board on my newer 1982 CXC a few weeks ago, the board looks exactly like yours except it not the 220 v board. I usually keep one around as a spare

Those blue motors are from the very early 70's models. They can only be serviced by a professional  motor shop. Do not try to tyake them apart .I'm speaking from experience .

I have had a single speed experience years ago and it was the board-I think they cost around $170

Thats all you have left to replace .Its hard for me to think thats it tripping that breaker-tahst still a worry-as it sound so much like a dead short and that would make the board smell fried and youi say its ok.Are you sure all your grounds on this wheel arter connected properly???The green wire in the foot pedal -controller and the motor?

• 1 year later...

Archived