Low Res Mfa Programs

I found a post from a few years ago about this, but, I am wondering if people would be willing to share their thoughts on a low residency ceramics program that might work for me. I teach full time at a boarding school in New Hampshire. I have a BFA in ceramics. I am currently working on an MAT in art ed. I would be considering pursuing the MFA in two years after completion of the MAT. Rather than pose a specific question I am open to discussion or advice, specific recommendations are fine as well. Thanks!

Guest JBaymore

I am currently working on an MAT in art ed.

You in our program?  (NHIA)

If so... talk to Chris Archer about this.  You might already know him.  He is now involved in the low rez Masters program a little bit, (used to be involved a lot) and is the Director of the NHIA Community Education program.  He used to be one of our FT ceramics faculty before moving to the Dir. position.   Good guy.  He'd have some valuable insights.

best,

.................john

No, I'm at PSU since I have my undergrad there it makes the MAT a 5th year option (albeit a few years after my BFA) 

I met Chris once, and I have been to the NHIA once. I would be intersted in learning more about the low res program there and will look into it again (I briefly looked at that section of the site just now). Certainly something to consider. 

Can you tell me about the kilns at NHIA?

Guest JBaymore

Can you tell me about the kilns at NHIA?

At the Manchester campus we have:

Electric

a Skutt 7 cubic foot top loader  (computerized)

an L+L big rectangular top loader   (computerized)

an 8 cu ft. Fredrickson front loader  (computerized)

Gas

a 50 cu. ft. sprung arch downdraft (student built)

a 30 cu ft catenary downdraft ( (student built)  <just replaced the large soda kiln with this one...... we wanted a small unit.

a 32 cubic foot Bailey front loader  (manual control)

At the Sharon campus we have:

Electric

a 7 cu ft top loading electric kiln (I forget the brand)

Gas

a 50 cubic foot sprung arch car kiln  (site built)

Wood

A relatively large anagama-style kiln  (student built)

There you have it.  Hope that helps.

If you talk to Chris .... or Lucinda Bliss (Dean of Grad Studies), please tell them I sent you. 

best,

..........................john

Archived