Sign in to follow this  
clay lover

Color Of Talc.

Talc is coming from a differing source . . . the old white was discontinued due to asbestos concerns.  The gray -- which I believe comes from a Texas source -- fires to white. 

http://www.highwaterclays.com/files/%20Talc%20in%20the%20News.pdf

Its Texas talc also known as Pioneer Talc-its grey in color-been that way for years

Some talcs are white and do not have asbestos. Some of the older white ones like New York Talc had asbestos

These all are now hard to find.

I know more than I will say but thats the short story.

please mail me your older white talcs as you may not want them in your studio anymore-I'll pay the shipping costs of white talcs.

The only reason I have for the old talcs is I have a buttery satin matte that demands the old stuff. I have a limited supply of it. I use Serria white in all other uses and the grey stuff in one glaze. Serria white is a white talc still available from Laguna Clay Co. The grey talc will work just fine in 99.9 of uses

Serria white does not work for my satin matte. Only the old talcs from the 60-70-80's work-talks like Desert Talc from California (long gone or C-30  talc from the 80's.

Back in the old days there where no choices on this now there are several choices but you have to look for them.I like serria white for most of my talc uses.

I stopped using Texas talc when I sold my longhorns 

French talk is for cosmetics at 8$ at pound you can see why cosmetics cost so much.

No ceramic supplier I know  on the west coast carries French talc

You can buy it on the web-no telling what its make up is or where its from?