Will This Glazing Process Work?

Hi everyone!

I'm relatively new to ceramics...and by relatively new I mean I started about a month ago. I'm wondering if the following process is plausible or if I should take a different path to achieve a similar result:

Using earthenware clay, I want to first coat my green-ware pot in its entirety in a a layer of white glaze, perhaps 3-4 coats.

After allowing it to dry, I would like to cover a section in wax. On this section of wax I will use a pointed tool to carve into the green-ware, creating recesses into which I will fill a different color of glaze. I believe this is called "wax resist glazing." After allowing the pot to dry in its entirety, I will then fire it.

My questions regarding this process:

1.) How hard should the green-ware pot be before I coat it in glaze? 2.) Does firing it once as opposed to firing it twice poise any risk? 3.) If firing a glazed green-ware is not likely to yield pleasant results, is there an alternative route that will allow me to achieve a full coat on the pot in addition to inlaid designs with a different color glaze? 

If you do it with glazes, then chances are they will run and blur your design. Single firing can also cause problems unless you fire very slowly and/or have glazes that can handle single firing. If I were you I would do the technique with underglazes (won't run), bisque fire, then glaze the whole thing with a clear glaze. Look up 'mishima'.

Mr. Estrick,

I really like that idea, only problem is that a clear glaze will expose the bisque-fired color, which I am not very fond of with this particular clay. Is there any way to complete the mishima technique with the entire thing glazed white? Perhaps I should  complete the mishima technique, bisque fire, and then carefully glaze with a brush the remaining part of the pot white?

Thank you for tolerating my newbiness :P

-Mobby

Edit: Found a solution, thanks for all of the help everyone! 

for those seeking an answer to the same problem!

you sure did find the solution, except you used the wrong term. you used glaze in the original post. glaze and underglaze are two different beasts. glaze inlay happens on bisqueware. and yes you can use the same principal with glaze. what you were wondering was using underglaze or slip in the greenware state.

you are using red earthenware right? you should leave some of it bare. unglazed red clay is beautiful. unglazed slip on red bisque (so 3 fire - bisquefire, then dip in slip and bisquefire again and then glaze fire) is even more beautiful esp. if the white slip is porcelainous. 

If you are using a recipe glaze, good luck. But Mayco underglazes and Mayco Stroke & Coat, might be the answer. I don't make any earthenware pottery anymore, but Mayco S&C is user friendly. Go to Mayco website for tutorials. And best wishes.

Archived