Kiln Sitter Adjustment

I decided it would be a good idea to check the adjustment on my sitter.

With the guide in place and manual in hand, I started by checking the clearance between the trigger and the claw. The instructions read that I'm supposed to have a 1/16". The problem is the claw has an 1/16" play in and out.

Is this normal and if so do I adjust the clearance with the claw all the way in or all the way out?

Thanks Neil

The claw clears when the rod is extended and bumps against the weight when in

As it turned out I thought I had ^4, ^5 and ^6 witness cones but I was sent two boxes of ^6.

The bisque fire was ok but I'm guessing that I may have glazed fired to somewhere around ^5-1/2 based on how the ^6 witness and the ^5 junior cones looks.

I have ^5s on order and I'll check next time I fire

A little warning to those of you that may have the setters set over two sections of the kiln(have seen it in some kiln brands), make certain that the sections are always aligned so that the setter is not at an angle. This will keep the tab from dropping down and shutting off the kiln. Had this happen on one kiln, and really over fired a night time firing in the school. It only takes a slight misalignment to keep the tab from falling. Just be aware.

best,

Pres

Archived