Not A Qotw, Just A Q.

Guest JBaymore

And best get over the notion of never "having" to work after retirement...that ain't gonna happen after all LOL. 

Unfortunately Lee, I think other than for the 1%-ers........ or those close to that situation........... American reality is that full "retirement" is a thing of the past.  Most people will have some sort of PT gigs that help pay the bills.  Besides....... as a clay artist... I can't see EVER fully "retiring" and not making stuff (unless health issues force that).

Sorry to hear about the car.  They have a way of doing that stuff, unfortunately.

Remember that John Lennon quote:  "Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans."   (Or something close to that.)

best,

.................john

Guest JBaymore

AS a builder, reading this thread, I need to introduce a new home model.

1 BR, 1 Bath, 1 kitchen, with small snack bar to eat and a 4000SF garage with 400 amp service and natural gas; ASHRAE ventilation system, conveyor belt, and retractable fork lift for unloading.

Nerd

There's your BILLION DOLLAR idea.  Get on that.  You need a catchy name:  "Potter's Places".  ;)

best,

....................john

I like it, Nerd! We down sized from 4 to 2 bedrooms but I got a bigger studio and kiln shed but lost an office. Can improvise in the rec room in the basement.

I am happy to be in a town of many artists, the Clay Center and near my life long outlets. Plus the Wild Horse Range.

Marcia

You are a very lucky lady, Marcia, it is so beautiful out where you are...started my studio in half of a 3 car garage, now I have the whole garage, is simply amazing how quickly one can use the extra space. Just wish I had natural gas service, a good way to heat the garage, and win the lottery to afford my wishes lol.

My (latest) "What was I thinking" moment.  Being so very proud of myself to lay out the studio so there is a natural 'flow' from wheel (or slab) to drying to bisque to glaze to storage...and then bringing in my 1st 500lbs of clay and having to ask, "Uh...where does this go?".

Peace,

-Paul

Marcia, please let me know how the heaters work. I am currently looking at my weather station readout at 4 degrees without windchill, and my little electric heaters are struggling to keep the garage/studio at 40 degrees...I live way out in the sticks so natural gas is not an option, and I don't have room for a propane tank. A wood stove isn't an option either as I am alone now and don't have the time to cut the wood or stoke the fire all night. Plus calving season is here and with 250+ head to do, I will be lucky to have time to catch a nap here and there lol. Have been through the Red Lodge area a couple of times during my "life's journey" it is truly amazing where you are.

This days they dig a trench and bury plastic gas pipe. much faster than old days with metal pipe. Since you are thinking about gas for a kiln maybe you should consider  the cost

to run to a heater in shop-also water heater-the operating costs in the long run are usually better -nothing cooks like gas on the stove as well.

These heaters come in all sizes

http://www.qcsupply.com/modine-hot-dawg-heater.html

I think someone in the midwest uses one on this board if memory recalls in their garage shop in winter.

When my shop heater dies (older Dearborn) its the small 30,000 but for me.

My guess is you need at least 75,000 to heat that space maybe more. The gas company shmpiuld spec it out for you as well.

I have these very efficient convection heaters for the garage https://www.wholesalehomeimp.com/products/econo-heat-e-heater-0603-white?variant=22543180035&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping&utm_term=4579809527207890&utm_content=Econo-Heat

and a back up kerosene heater for 1,000 sq.ft.  I used one in a studio in up state New York back in the early 70s for over night when I wasn't burning the wood stove. I have two electric on demand water heaters. I had two in Texas for our house. They cut our electric and water use by 30-40 %. The studio is at the far end of the house from utility sources. 

I will think more about gas if I want to build a gas kiln. That will have to wait a while after recouping the cost of moving and buying the house. But thanks for all the suggestions. I always like to consider options. 

Marcia

soaking down a lot of clay to recycle just before family arrived for Xmas, and Yes, it is back to dry and solid lumps again.

Yanking on the garden hose without looking and knocking down a large terracotta pot with birdwaterer atop! Yeh I yanked hard, sick of hoses snagging and kinking, hot day grumpy Babs.

another one bites the dust, and more crocks for bottom of planters.

not being a good business person when friends visit studio...

Too late to change any of that.

sorry, babs, but at least you are not dealing with feet of snow.  terry cannot even get her small dogs to go outside.

marcia, the heater ad does not have any measurements.  is it the size of a piece of copy paper or the size of a blanket?

they are about 25" x 25" with all the hardware that creates the space between the square plate and the wall. They are very efficient. 

Just plug them into a wall socket.I now have 5 drill bits, one for each heater installation.

Can not mount them near a door or below a window. I have mine laid out. 

Marcia

Old Lady,

Here are the specsDescription: Econo-Heat 603 400W Wall Panel Heater

Econo-Heat eheater Model # 603 White Wall Panel Convection Heater - 400-Watt - 120 Volt - 3.3 Amps - Can be painted - Installation Kit Included - Install on a Wall - 6ft cord with 2 prong plug - 23" x 23" x 3/8" - Silent operation with no Fan

They are very economical to use. The reviews are excellent.

Archived