#21 1515art

1515art

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationSanta Clara, California

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:46 PM

i spent a long time getting people out of what was I thinking moments, one of the first was a kid about 12 years old who thought it was a good idea to sand a little wood box he was making with a belt sander while holding the box in his lap (to make things worse he was a little chubby). He got about 3 inches of that tender inner thigh meat into the rollers of the sander with his shorts before he could get his finger off the trigger, but that's not exactly what you were asking... my ceramic what was I thinking revolve around taking commission work, took one for a large ikebana vase one time...by the time it was over I felt like the kid trapped in the belt sander.

#22 Kellykopp

Kellykopp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSE Indiana

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:29 AM

but you could have carved through the wax and dabbed on the iron oxide fore a fine delicate id number.Marcia

never thought of that at the time....oooops.....lol..........just drew pics of the pieces and made my notes from there. But I won't be doing that particular "oooops" again, it's how we all learn.

#23 LeeU

LeeU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:58 PM

What was I thinking...spending virtually all of my savings to build a small studio, as a total indulgence, never imagining that my vehicle's radiator and engine could mutually implode one day (like last week) and I'd have to take on a car payment I can barely afford (have never had one-it's traumatic!). 

Oh well, best get that new website with online store up and running right quick!!! And best get over the notion of never "having" to work after retirement...that ain't gonna happen after all LOL. 

Lee Ustinich

#24 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, MSU-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,350 posts
  • LocationRed Lodge, Montana

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:22 PM

My new 2 car plus garage is so much larger than my converted 2 car carport. Plus I have a more functional kiln shed. I did lose my office and wall to wall bookcase, but I'll survive. Got some overhead storage shelves today at the hardware store. They will store light weight packing material and double as additional ceiling insulation. I have an extra two feet of height in there.

Marcia

Marcia Selsor, Professor Emerita,Montana State University-Billings
[http://www.marciaselsorstudio.com

#25 glazenerd

glazenerd

Macro Crystalline Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Mo.

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:32 AM

AS a builder, reading this thread, I need to introduce a new home model.

1 BR, 1 Bath, 1 kitchen, with small snack bar to eat and a 4000SF garage with 400 amp service and natural gas; ASHRAE ventilation system, conveyor belt, and retractable fork lift for unloading.

Nerd

#26 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 4,270 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:52 AM

And best get over the notion of never "having" to work after retirement...that ain't gonna happen after all LOL. 

Unfortunately Lee, I think other than for the 1%-ers........ or those close to that situation........... American reality is that full "retirement" is a thing of the past.  Most people will have some sort of PT gigs that help pay the bills.  Besides....... as a clay artist... I can't see EVER fully "retiring" and not making stuff (unless health issues force that).

Sorry to hear about the car.  They have a way of doing that stuff, unfortunately.

Remember that John Lennon quote:  "Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans."   (Or something close to that.)

best,

.................john

John Baymore
Adjunct Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

Former Guest Professor, Wuxi Institute of Arts and Science, Yixing, China

Former President and Past President; Potters Council

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

http://www.nhia.edu/...ty/john-baymore

#27 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 4,270 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:55 AM

AS a builder, reading this thread, I need to introduce a new home model.

1 BR, 1 Bath, 1 kitchen, with small snack bar to eat and a 4000SF garage with 400 amp service and natural gas; ASHRAE ventilation system, conveyor belt, and retractable fork lift for unloading.

Nerd

There's your BILLION DOLLAR idea.  Get on that.  You need a catchy name:  "Potter's Places".  ;)

best,

....................john

John Baymore
Adjunct Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

Former Guest Professor, Wuxi Institute of Arts and Science, Yixing, China

Former President and Past President; Potters Council

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

http://www.nhia.edu/...ty/john-baymore

#28 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,350 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:23 AM

I like it, Nerd! We down sized from 4 to 2 bedrooms but I got a bigger studio and kiln shed but lost an office. Can improvise in the rec room in the basement.

I am happy to be in a town of many artists, the Clay Center and near my life long outlets. Plus the Wild Horse Range.

Marcia

#29 Kellykopp

Kellykopp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSE Indiana

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:39 AM

You are a very lucky lady, Marcia, it is so beautiful out where you are...started my studio in half of a 3 car garage, now I have the whole garage, is simply amazing how quickly one can use the extra space. Just wish I had natural gas service, a good way to heat the garage, and win the lottery to afford my wishes lol.

#30 ChenowethArts

ChenowethArts

Senior Geek & Whimsical Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee - Where at least a few studios make something besides music.

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:35 AM

My (latest) "What was I thinking" moment.  Being so very proud of myself to lay out the studio so there is a natural 'flow' from wheel (or slab) to drying to bisque to glaze to storage...and then bringing in my 1st 500lbs of clay and having to ask, "Uh...where does this go?".

Peace,

-Paul

Paul Chenoweth
Visit/Like me on Facebook
Shop Etsy New!
Connect on Twitter
Mostly Ceramics on Pinterest

#31 What?

What?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationGilbert, Arizona

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:38 AM

I should just move us into the garage and use the house as a studio. Imagine having three sinks with hot water to boot and AC/Heat.

#32 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,350 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:59 AM

Kelly

I got some electric convection heaters. Once they are installed, I'll let you know how well they work. Gas is always another option.

I'm glad I kept my Soldner mixer because I can get dry chemicals from the Claycenter. They are limited in their moist clay offerings.

Marcia

#33 Kellykopp

Kellykopp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSE Indiana

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:21 AM

Marcia, please let me know how the heaters work. I am currently looking at my weather station readout at 4 degrees without windchill, and my little electric heaters are struggling to keep the garage/studio at 40 degrees...I live way out in the sticks so natural gas is not an option, and I don't have room for a propane tank. A wood stove isn't an option either as I am alone now and don't have the time to cut the wood or stoke the fire all night. Plus calving season is here and with 250+ head to do, I will be lucky to have time to catch a nap here and there lol. Have been through the Red Lodge area a couple of times during my "life's journey" it is truly amazing where you are.

#34 Joseph F

Joseph F

Always Experimenting

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:28 PM

I should just move us into the garage and use the house as a studio. Imagine having three sinks with hot water to boot and AC/Heat.

I smiled. 

#35 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,315 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:42 PM

Gas is always another option

I vote for this one as it cheaper usually or in our area.

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#36 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,350 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:40 PM

yes but I think extending the pipes to the garage would be an expensive undertaking. 

Marcia

#37 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,315 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:22 PM

This days they dig a trench and bury plastic gas pipe. much faster than old days with metal pipe. Since you are thinking about gas for a kiln maybe you should consider  the cost

to run to a heater in shop-also water heater-the operating costs in the long run are usually better -nothing cooks like gas on the stove as well.

These heaters come in all sizes

http://www.qcsupply....awg-heater.html

I think someone in the midwest uses one on this board if memory recalls in their garage shop in winter.

When my shop heater dies (older Dearborn) its the small 30,000 but for me.

My guess is you need at least 75,000 to heat that space maybe more. The gas company shmpiuld spec it out for you as well.

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#38 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,350 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:31 PM

I have these very efficient convection heaters for the garage https://www.wholesal...tent=Econo-Heat

and a back up kerosene heater for 1,000 sq.ft.  I used one in a studio in up state New York back in the early 70s for over night when I wasn't burning the wood stove. I have two electric on demand water heaters. I had two in Texas for our house. They cut our electric and water use by 30-40 %. The studio is at the far end of the house from utility sources. 

I will think more about gas if I want to build a gas kiln. That will have to wait a while after recouping the cost of moving and buying the house. But thanks for all the suggestions. I always like to consider options. 

Marcia

#39 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,350 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:33 PM

I first saw these convection heaters at Antionette's studio in Saltillo , MS. I like them because they are efficient, quiet and no drafts.

I think they will be more than enough to heat the space.

Marcia

#40 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:09 AM

soaking down a lot of clay to recycle just before family arrived for Xmas, and Yes, it is back to dry and solid lumps again.
Yanking on the garden hose without looking and knocking down a large terracotta pot with birdwaterer atop! Yeh I yanked hard, sick of hoses snagging and kinking, hot day grumpy Babs.
another one bites the dust, and more crocks for bottom of planters.
not being a good business person when friends visit studio...
Too late to change any of that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users