Not A Qotw, Just A Q.

I'd like to hear from folks about any "What was I thinking?!!" moments you have had during your clay journey.  This could pertain to individual projects, goals, techniques, or anything you thought about, or tried to do.  I've had several of these moments through the years, but you first!

In the 70s we where firing a glaze fire in a large gas kiln. We started cleaning up the weeds growing around kiln as it was spring tossing them into the burners. Never thought much about the reduction and kept cleaning up and burning the weeds. We smoked the whole load and lost some wares. Never burned anything but gas since.

Just this year I revisited using porcelain. Wow what was I thinking using stoneware for the last decade. I love porcelain. Did I mention I love porcelain. The glazes look fantastic. Oh the feel of the clay body even after 06 bisque but oh I love that cone 10 foot oh so smooth. Ohhhhhh the tenmoku looks just oh so goooooooooood! Oh I can hardly wait to see how the different types of shinos look. I throw lighter with it too (maybe by 10-15%). Down side is it costs more. What the hell I will order it by the ton. I only five hundred on the way now.

Someday I hope to use one of those Bison tungsten carbide trim tools and then have another ah ha moment. I think I might ask my wife for one for my birthday that's in May.

Think I'm right in the middle of a "What am I thinking" moment right now. Trying out red clay in my workshop where I only used white clays. Holey moley does the red stuff make a mess. (need to give myself a smack on the back of my head but then I'ld have to go wash my hair)

Marcia, I gotta know - was the studio build a success?

Yes but quite a lot of physical labor. It took one month, five dump trucks of clay each carrying 4.5 cubic yards and a team of about 8 people.

I published an article about it in 1983 Rammed Earth Studio. Ceramics Monthly, May. Pp.56-58

It was fun. But I have to say what was I thinking? A pre-fab would have been so much simpler. Here is a picture of my helpers through the entire process. That is me in the blue hard hat.

These ladies have remained friends for the past 40 years and they are part of my group I visit every year at Chico Hot Springs neat the North Entrance to Yellowstone.

post-1954-0-20788200-1483299722_thumb.jpg

Not following my clay dream after graduating college.......the most recent "what was I thinking" giggle is being so focused on putting wax resist on the bottom of some experimental pots because I was in a hurry, and then I went to apply the iron oxide ID numbers on the bottom of said pots.....ooooops.......

Buying a house 30 years ago without a two car garage for a shop, one car is just too small.

Its been my experience that no garage is big enough. I have a two car garage and wish it was a 3 car garage.

Hmmm, I think I can echo a few of the responses here.......switching from porcelain to red clay and then back,  Not building a big enough shop, taking on too much during High Holy Holiday season,

but I must agree with Joseph, the Bison tool was a good decision!  So was my slab roller!!

Roberta

i spent a long time getting people out of what was I thinking moments, one of the first was a kid about 12 years old who thought it was a good idea to sand a little wood box he was making with a belt sander while holding the box in his lap (to make things worse he was a little chubby). He got about 3 inches of that tender inner thigh meat into the rollers of the sander with his shorts before he could get his finger off the trigger, but that's not exactly what you were asking... my ceramic what was I thinking revolve around taking commission work, took one for a large ikebana vase one time...by the time it was over I felt like the kid trapped in the belt sander.

but you could have carved through the wax and dabbed on the iron oxide fore a fine delicate id number.Marcia

never thought of that at the time....oooops.....lol..........just drew pics of the pieces and made my notes from there. But I won't be doing that particular "oooops" again, it's how we all learn.

What was I thinking...spending virtually all of my savings to build a small studio, as a total indulgence, never imagining that my vehicle's radiator and engine could mutually implode one day (like last week) and I'd have to take on a car payment I can barely afford (have never had one-it's traumatic!). 

Oh well, best get that new website with online store up and running right quick!!! And best get over the notion of never "having" to work after retirement...that ain't gonna happen after all LOL. 

My new 2 car plus garage is so much larger than my converted 2 car carport. Plus I have a more functional kiln shed. I did lose my office and wall to wall bookcase, but I'll survive. Got some overhead storage shelves today at the hardware store. They will store light weight packing material and double as additional ceiling insulation. I have an extra two feet of height in there.

Marcia

AS a builder, reading this thread, I need to introduce a new home model.

1 BR, 1 Bath, 1 kitchen, with small snack bar to eat and a 4000SF garage with 400 amp service and natural gas; ASHRAE ventilation system, conveyor belt, and retractable fork lift for unloading.

Nerd

Archived