New Lid?

mdobay

Ok, I have a brand new "Never been fired" Kiln that I bought from someone who was moving and never got a chance to use it. When I picked it up someone had placed an oily chainsaw on the top of the lid. Although there was no physical damage done to the lid, it appears some of the oil must have spilled on it and seeped into it.. So my question is do I need to replace the lid or just fire it and expect the oil to burn off? or has the brick in the lid been completely ruined?  I am not against buying a new lid just don't want to if its not necessary.. My initial thoughts are to test fire it cone10 and see what happens,  Thoughts??  

post-66081-0-45849800-1482860619_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Ok update on the oily Lid, Last night I fired up the Kiln for the first time and ran a bisque fire to 06. At about 900 it started to smell a little so I decided to rig a little hood vent (see pic) and that seemed to work a for a little while, but by the time it hit 06 it was really smoking pretty good and the vent couldn't keep up so needed to open the doors and windows until the firing ended and Kiln cooled..  Based on last nights performance, I am going to invest in the new lid :-)  If the Kiln was outdoors I wouldn't care, but its in my basement and I cant image how much smoke will come off this when I do a cone10 firing..   

hood

Considering the bisque fire is complete, I would consider firing one last time to see if you have much more going on. Then if too much opt for the new lid. When getting the lid, you might consider getting a thicker one. . . I find that slower cool down with the thicker lid helps on crystallization. 

best,

Pres

Considering the bisque fire is complete, I would consider firing one last time to see if you have much more going on. Then if too much opt for the new lid. When getting the lid, you might consider getting a thicker one. . . I find that slower cool down with the thicker lid helps on crystallization. 

best,

Pres

Thanks Pres,

My guess based on the discoloration and the amount is smoke still coming off at the end of the bisque, I would rather not deal with it. I ordered the Lid from Olympic and it was only $160 which is well worth it to keep my wife to be from giving me the evil eyes for stinking up the house.. The thicker lid didn't seem to be an option, but a good point! The kiln I have has the upgraded 3" block so that should help to slow the cool and if it becomes a problem I will have to looking to ways help it. As for the other Lid not a total loss as I can use for a Raku base.

Archived