Be warned that clay and glass have different rates of expansion and contraction and they are simply not made to be put together.

This forum is full of questions about glaze fit, and the problems associated with it.  That's with using two products designed to be together.

At some time in the future the glass will disassociate itself from the clay, usually explosively.  You will not want to be in the same room when it does so.

Sputty, Like This

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aucqjnDl68M[/media]

Take notice of the media tags before and after the complete url the

Also

In the reply box you'll see this icon ips_bbcode.png?t=4b93cd7f1f76df9c2c1783a click on it and in the BBCode drop down box choose media then follow the prompts

Chilly is right, I checked with the main art glass producer (at least was, Spectrum folded this year) and they flatly say it shouldn't be done. Even if it appears to work it won't and the piece will fail eventually. It causes safety issues because that failure is likely going to happen when someone is handling the piece. They have tried to get the word out to people who list instructions on technique but it still persist.

The two mediums are not compatible.

Its a shame though, beautiful work!

what about jugtown? they have put pieces of glass on their handles on their large crocs. 

here is mark hewitt showing how he uses glass on his pottery. i've noticed some of them are functional ware too. on tumblers. however he uses glass for decoration, not as a glass to cover the whole pot. 

Glass can work for decoration.  But for functional work -- on insides -- not a good idea unless your glass and the glaze share the same COE.  Otherwise, they are going to heat differently, expand and contract differently, and cool differently -- every time the bowl or mug goes into a microwave or oven.  Eventually the bonds will loosen and craze, crack, shiver, etc. whether the piece if functional or non-functional. 

If you look at the finished piece in her gallery, you can still see outlines of some of the pieces of broken glass used . . . not completely melted. 

Makers need to understand how their materials interact and the limits of their materials. 

Your use of broken glass has just reminded me of film I saw of potters in Iran, who grind glass up to a powder, mix it to a slurry with water, and use it as a glaze.

If you've got 30 minutes, it's an absorbing film:

He also added tree sap and said without it the glaze would not last long (21:30) . I'm guessing he means before firing and not after?

Archived