In resourcing parts for my own kiln controllers, I have noticed a simular design shared between the bartlet v6, skutt, dynatrol control boards. I like continuity between controllers for ease of programming, but not all my kilns are made by the same manufacturers. The cost isn't so much an issue. Can I run any of these controllers on my kilns. I have Olympic2327 and skutt1027 1227 kilns so far, similar in size, I like multi zone control. I was going to just mount my controllers on the wall and run the thermocouple/power wires over to the kilns ( much like a L&L Jupiter controller). Has anyone wired these controllers with this cross compatibility in mind? And how similar is the programs on these controllers?

In the US pottery kiln market, there are only 2 source manufacturers of controllers - Orton and Bartlett. Skutt and L&L (Dynatrol) both use Bartlett boards which have been tweaked slightly, buttons in a different place on the front panel, that sort of thing, but the core functionality is similar and the internal wiring schematic is the same. If you are going to build a controller using something from the Bartlett line, just get one directly from Bartlett. It will be slightly less expensive, and you might consider their new touchscreen Genesis controller. It has many more features than the older V6 line, for only a bit more $. And yes, you can mount your controller on the wall with appropriate cabling to the kiln. Your challenge will be figuring out how you are going to adapt the Skutt and Olympic power inputs to the elements to the controller outputs. For multi-zone control, I don't know how the Olympic line does things (never had the pleasure of working on that brand), but Skutt is designed for single zone control in that uneven heating is supposedly alleviated by having hotter elements in the top and bottom circuits to offset heat loss through the lid/base. This should not really matter if you install additional thermocouples and separate the power inputs, but those adaptations are something you'd need to sort through and accomplish in a manner consistent with electrical code and best practices. At the controller level, it's all the same.

The Bartlett V6CF and Dynatrol are identical controllers. The Dynatrol just has a different skin with the L&L logo. The Skutt controller is the same board, too, but has a different touchpad (dumbed down). The Genesis is also the same board, but with a touch screen and more options. At this point I would spend the extra $100 and get the Genesis. it will be the norm in a year or two.

Definitely do zone control.

Archived