How Hot Was It?

graybeard

Hi all

Anyone know of, or better yet where to buy a hand held pyrometer that will hold the highest temperature reached, it seems I'm

Never right there when the kiln sitter trips. What I have now is an analog meter mounted on the wall with a long enough lead on

The thermocouple to move it from kiln to kiln and I would like to see what the temp REALLY was when the sitter tripped.

Thanks.

graybeard

Consider a HH91 digital pyrometer from Omega.com - $87. It it just a basic unit, but has a max/min/avg function. You already have the K-type thermocouple appropriate for kilns, but you might need to pick up a length of finer gauge thermocouple wire necessary to fit the plug-in connector on the pyrometer. That is available from Clay-King.com for $1.40 per foot (cheaper than by the roll from Omega for the small amount you'll need).

The thing is, it doesn't matter what temperature it reached. If the cone melts, then that's what matters. Depending on the speed of the firing, that temp could vary by dozens of degrees. Trust your cones. They're more accurate than any pyrometer. Heat work is what matters, not temperature. If you've got extra cash then go ahead and get one, but for accuracy of the firing, go with your cones.

Archived