Qotw: What Are The Top Five Things In Your Studio That You Would Not Part With, If You Had To Downsize?

If I downsized any-more I'd be in danger of disappearing up my own fundament every time I turned around.

But, I'll play along:-

1] Kiln

2] Wheel

3]Bats

4]Glaze mixing paraphernalia

5]Box of homemade tools, mostly ribs and turning/trimming tools

Only 5? Geeeeesssss!

1. CXC wheel, because I can carry it, and it has seen the wars for over 20 years. ST-4 potters stool, saves my back, and is height adjustable.
  2. Griffin Grip, because it has been adapted for much of what I do.
  3. Bats-I'm calling this one thing even though I use about 12 of them when throwing plates/patens.
  4. Hand tools for throwing and trimming
  5. L&L kiln and shelves for firing.

I could put a sponge in this mess, but I have thrown quite often without ever using one. I could also add a wedging table, but for 3 years I wedged on the concrete floor of the garage-kneeling. I could also add good lighting, but then I have demonstrated in the dark. I could also use a pair of calipers, but then I can use a stick to measure with cut notches when forced to. None of this includes the equipment for glaze chemistry, or a computer to keep records, or even the television that I use for company, but then even my list of 5 contained much more than 5 items. . . . guess I flunked the test!

Maybe I should have asked: you have to move to a 6 foot by 6 foot studio: what would you put in it.

I see everyone has their favorite tools.

Blender was an interesting choice.

Never realized husbands fell into the tool category.  No wonder my wife has kept me around.

Pres.. more than five: just list the top five.

Nerd

This one has me a bit stumped, because the 12x12 room I'm in now is the largest space I've ever had all to myself. I don't actually have a great deal of unused things. And kilns have always been separated from my work area.

1) wheel

2) Old Pal fishing tackle box with all my sticks and bits

3) the Trim All gets its own spot, because it's that good

4) banding wheel and paint brushes. I don't use one without the other, so they're combined on my list.

5)shelving for all remaining area. It has been observed you can wedge on the floor, but you need somewhere to put all the stuff you make. And you can stand and work at a shelf at the right height.

It has been fun reading these lists. Since I started out on this journey with barely enough 'stuff' to fill a bucket, I could still be happy in a downsized studio with the following:

1. My large plaster bowl for re-cycling scraps
  2. 24" rolling pin
  3. 2.5 c.f. kiln
  4. Clay storage bin
  5. Collection of bisque stamps

-Paul

Most are done posting for now: so I will make my observation.

Everyone selected their personal choices of "must haves" for clay. But did you notice, no one said: " I would rather quit."  So it is not the space, the abundance of tools and clay toys, nor did it matter the kiln size you are forced to take along. It is YOU, your love for clay endures regardless of circumstances.

Tom

Most are done posting for now: so I will make my observation.

Everyone selected their personal choices of "must haves" for clay. But did you notice, no one said: " I would rather quit."  So it is not the space, the abundance of tools and clay toys, nor did it matter the kiln size you are forced to take along. It is YOU, your love for clay endures regardless of circumstances.

Tom

I'll borrow a quote from Theresa Sjoquist: "Knowledge is addictive. Keep it up.†

My translation: "Working in clay is addictive. Keep it up"

Peace,

-Paul

Archived