• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • LocationLangdon Hills, Essex, UK

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:40 AM

About 460k.

Dreams are .........  

What would we do without dreams.

Is the $460k after selling your current home?  

Could you afford the repayments?  

Sounds cheap to me.  (Living in the town that has just been declared as having the highest rate of increase in house values in the last 12 months.  Average cost of a house in this town = £300k or >$380k)

----------------------------------------------------------

Ann

http://www.readypeda...uk/pottery.html

#22 glazenerd

glazenerd

Macro Crystalline Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Mo.

Posted 14 December 2016 - 04:58 PM

I know about living your dream.

sunroom

If you use your dream as a goal: it will give you the motivation to move forward. In my earlier post I talked about opening a construction company at 21, and it went belly up. At the time it was devastating, but it ended up being one of my best life lessons. I learned where the pit holes where, and how to avoid stepping in them. I learned it requires more than having a dream: it also requires a plan to execute them. In this country, dreams come with regulations: such as taxes, ordinances, and book keeping. Dreams encapsulate the human spirit: creativity, courage, adventure, and boldness. But they also require patience, tenacity, and endurance.

Then again it depends on how you measure success? Is it being the biggest, the best, or the most well known? Or is it being content in what you have done?

Nerd

#23 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, MSU-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,353 posts
  • LocationRed Lodge, Montana

Posted 14 December 2016 - 05:19 PM

My adult dream is a smaller house, larger studio, smaller town, larger market. moving back to a place I love and inspires. Loading up the truck pics. Red Lodge is a great town. matt has dreams of started a Center for Physics much like the one in Aspen but which is now seemingly controlled by bureaucrats.
There is a cultured populations. Tippett Rise Art Center is an amazing example.
http://tippetrise.org
The old school is being transformed into a community cultural center and is 4 blocks from our house.
Got the truck loaded and it is on its way to Montana.
I'll be there Sunday I hope depending on the snow. Loaded it in warm humid weather, unload in 17 " of snow by Sunday.
Warm front coming mid-week (21 F) when the truck arrives.
Looking forward to our simple dreams.
Marcia

Attached Files

Marcia Selsor, Professor Emerita,Montana State University-Billings
[http://www.marciaselsorstudio.com

#24 What?

What?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationGilbert, Arizona

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:11 PM

Same thing as you. The reality for me is to start selling work and get a storage locker to storage the other half of the garage stuff and have a full functioning studio. Then when I can generate enough income to subsides my income I can quite my job. Then I will work like a dog and enjoy a good part of it.

Other scenario:

I hit the lottery and boom a few studios around the world. Rubbing shoulders and making pots with all the right people. Flying people in; flying me out. OH Dreams.......

#25 Stone Spiral

Stone Spiral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationKootenay Rockies, B.C

Posted 17 December 2016 - 09:44 PM

I have always been good at manifesting my dreams... but I think for me, they show up in their own time and their own way. I might have a picture in my head of how it will be, but then a few years later when I'm living it, I realize - "hey! This is exactly what I wanted, it just doesn't look how I expected it to look!"

Hang on to the dream, just don't get hung up in the details. Hold it in your heart and do something each day that works towards it (even if that's just researching grants, networking with people who might want to help out, drawing up wish-lists, talking about it with friends, etc). Things will start to show up and you can start collecting items, phone numbers, and resources until it all comes together.

I have dreamed for 10 years about having my own pottery studio. I opened a little studio in my house last March, and will be opening the doors to my own community studio in a few short weeks. It's a lot of long, full days - but so very worth it :)

~* Roxy *~

#26 Rex Johnson

Rex Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationActon, CA

Posted 20 January 2017 - 02:44 PM

...Heck, I just dream of an indoor studio period....a roof would be nice to start with. :)

www.earthbasedceramics.com

#27 rakukuku

rakukuku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:23 PM

Well I am really lucky to be living my dream. Retired from the business world, full access to a  large well equipped group pottery where I can do what I want. Ceramics supply store nearby where I can just go buy what I need. Dear Husband who supports what I do and sometimes even helps. Three fun dogs. About the only thing I could wish for is elves to clean up my clay messes. I am a messy artist and accumulate junk. Gotta work on that one. 

Even on rainy gloomy days like today I need to remind myself that there is always clay waiting for me.  Rakuku

• Min likes this

#28 LeeU

LeeU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:26 PM

My dreams are just amorphous smoky vapor unless there is hope, motivation to put one foot in front of the other, and the capacity--however long it takes to generate that capacity--to make that dream emerge in 3D in the material world. To me, scale is irrelevant in terms of just getting something started, getting something done, however modest. I chose to take virtually all of my retirement savings to install my small studio in my 12x14 bedroom (moving myself to the 8X10 spare room and a little single size bed) and sacrificing the back porch (a trailer park luxury, where I could have people over) for the kiln and storage for such as compressor, work tables, kiln furniture etc.  Expensive hobby...but it keeps me going, and now, 2 years later, there are people who see my stuff, like my stuff, and -holy cannoli- want to have my stuff. All I want to do is pay for the clay/glaze/cost of firing. The next financial investment is a relatively minimal amount for establishing a decent website and online store (I do almost all of the computer work and graphics myself.) Yee Haw...I am in love with my own work and if no more comes of making the core dream (clay &kiln on my own premises) materiale in 3D, I am a very happy former "dreamer". 

Lee Ustinich

#29 Rex Johnson

Rex Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationActon, CA

Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:01 PM

The next financial investment is a relatively minimal amount for establishing a decent website and online store... 

...might I suggest WIX. Very easy to use, very good resources.

www.earthbasedceramics.com

#30 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 4,271 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:31 AM

My personal studio here at my current home has been slowly evolving over 40 years.  I now look back at that 'dumb' college student so long ago that decided to switch majors from a "respectable" scientific major..........

......and realize that it can be done.  It takes persistence and determination and hard work.... and the idea that .................

"I have a dream............."

Still working on that dream.  I am very fortunate.

best,

................john

John Baymore
Adjunct Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

Former Guest Professor, Wuxi Institute of Arts and Science, Yixing, China

Former President and Past President; Potters Council

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

http://www.nhia.edu/...ty/john-baymore

#31 LeeU

LeeU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 21 January 2017 - 05:48 PM

@Rex-yep, after lots of research, comparisons, and feedback, I went with WIX. So far, so good. I need to better standardize my photos, and many of my pieces that I wanted to show are gone, so I also have to build up stock. Lots of work to do re: making descriptions, and I have to confront the wrangle I am having with myself over to what degree, if any, should I explain what I am doing -aesthetic/world view/philosophy/existential perspective, blah blah blah etc.-so people have a clue as to where I am coming from when I let my porcelain crack all over the place. My artist's statement is WYSIWYG, and I am not being snarky.

Lee Ustinich

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users