Just Dreaming ...

Well I am really lucky to be living my dream. Retired from the business world, full access to a  large well equipped group pottery where I can do what I want. Ceramics supply store nearby where I can just go buy what I need. Dear Husband who supports what I do and sometimes even helps. Three fun dogs. About the only thing I could wish for is elves to clean up my clay messes. I am a messy artist and accumulate junk. Gotta work on that one. 

Even on rainy gloomy days like today I need to remind myself that there is always clay waiting for me.  Rakuku

My dreams are just amorphous smoky vapor unless there is hope, motivation to put one foot in front of the other, and the capacity--however long it takes to generate that capacity--to make that dream emerge in 3D in the material world. To me, scale is irrelevant in terms of just getting something started, getting something done, however modest. I chose to take virtually all of my retirement savings to install my small studio in my 12x14 bedroom (moving myself to the 8X10 spare room and a little single size bed) and sacrificing the back porch (a trailer park luxury, where I could have people over) for the kiln and storage for such as compressor, work tables, kiln furniture etc.  Expensive hobby...but it keeps me going, and now, 2 years later, there are people who see my stuff, like my stuff, and -holy cannoli- want to have my stuff. All I want to do is pay for the clay/glaze/cost of firing. The next financial investment is a relatively minimal amount for establishing a decent website and online store (I do almost all of the computer work and graphics myself.) Yee Haw...I am in love with my own work and if no more comes of making the core dream (clay &kiln on my own premises) materiale in 3D, I am a very happy former "dreamer". 

Guest JBaymore

My personal studio here at my current home has been slowly evolving over 40 years.  I now look back at that 'dumb' college student so long ago that decided to switch majors from a "respectable" scientific major..........

......and realize that it can be done.  It takes persistence and determination and hard work.... and the idea that .................

"I have a dream............."

Still working on that dream.  I am very fortunate.

best,

................john

@Rex-yep, after lots of research, comparisons, and feedback, I went with WIX. So far, so good. I need to better standardize my photos, and many of my pieces that I wanted to show are gone, so I also have to build up stock. Lots of work to do re: making descriptions, and I have to confront the wrangle I am having with myself over to what degree, if any, should I explain what I am doing -aesthetic/world view/philosophy/existential perspective, blah blah blah etc.-so people have a clue as to where I am coming from when I let my porcelain crack all over the place. My artist's statement is WYSIWYG, and I am not being snarky.

Archived