Tricks To Throwing Grogged Clays?

I've used a lot of Valentine's ES5 which is very lightly textured (malochite) and dead easy to throw with.

Also got some cheap terracotta which is grogged about 20% (sand?) and I don't like using much, probably a bit too dry out of the bag but I generally find I end up with two handfuls of slurry and the grogg sitting in the middle like an immovable mound of sandpaper! Okay I exaggerate but you get the general idea?

I should say I am not the most muscled of potters.

What are the pro's tricks to throwing with grogged clays – wheel slower? less water? just do it?  any tips gratefully received :)

Agree with Marcia,

Throwing with excess water is going to wash the clay away and expose the grog/sand, bringing it to the surface.

Think, the beach or a river, the water washes away the sediment and sand (clay), and leaves the rocks and pebbles (grog/sand) exposed.

Grog will come to the anyway surface no matter what. That's where the rib comes in.

Once the piece ifs formed, you can compress the grog back into the clay somewhat, leaving a semi-smooth surface.

Absolutely, water is the enemy when throwing with heavily grogged clay. I threw raku clay in a Don Tigny class one Summer, wore open sores on pointer knuckle, little finger knuckle and thumb knuckle of the left hand from having them inside the cylinder while throwing. Learned later to use hand lotion on the inside hand, and less water.  Side tip on this is that it helped me to throw all clays drier with or without the hand lotion. Smaller pressure points help a lot on all clays also.

best,

Pres

Archived