Photo

Qotw: Are There Redundant Things In Your Studio?

Question of the week; moving;

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, MSU-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,214 posts
  • LocationRed Lodge, Montana

Posted 08 December 2016 - 11:39 AM

I love all these focuses . making home for growing old in is exactly why we're moving to this place. We really aren't happy in current location and have missed life in Montana where we want to grow old. mellow friendly pace of life there. THe house is much lower maintenance that the old one we had in Billings. THe one in Texas is way too big but nice surrounding except for the heat and bugs that eat everything in my garden and on trees. planning a manageable greenhouse is the North. as for what I won't leave behind: good work tables on wheels, slab roller, pugmill, clay mixer, paper pulp mixer, still have ball mill but..it may go. Wheels, perfect height for me wedging table, chemical storage shelves for container, ware arts on wheels, on wheels that doubles for a crate for my grandmother's crystal cabinet ,
I am really hoping to roll everything onto the container. Got rid of 50% of my books. some of the chemicals can stay until spring. THe mirror is coming. Propane torch bottles staying. Not allowed on the container. This will be the last time for studio move. I am thankful it is in a place we both love. The plan is to move the studio and some of the household and get the old house ready to sell by next summer.
Marcia
Marcia
Marcia Selsor, Professor Emerita,Montana State University-Billings
[http://www.marciaselsorstudio.com

#22 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 4,170 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 08 December 2016 - 11:57 AM

Marcia,

I can't imagine completely moving at this point in our lives even if I did not have the studio.  The household and stuff is daunting enough.  Bravo to you for undertaking such an endeavor.

I could not imagine moving to another property even in the same town in which I live!

I actually have the option of moving to Japan should I want to (piece of land with studio and wood kiln access available to me there from a very generous and dear friend).  As a potter...... the "fantasy" come true.  But what a project to actually move.  And internationally to boot.  And such a move would not be good for my wife....... who is not "connected" to the Japanese people like I am and does not speak Japanese at all.  Then there is the idea of leaving the family (kids and grandkids).  Were we rich and could fly them over for visits and fly back to the US on a whim...... that would make it easier... but still not good.   And then there is also living the expatriate life.  I don't ever see it happening.  Still visit, yes....... moving there, no.

Still working on the studio.  Working on a lot of what I now know are "But-fers".  (Thanks!)

best,

................john

PS:  Current "but-fer" is that to get the kickwheel that I plan to sell OUT of the place it is in now, I have to move a HEAVY large 4' x 8' work table.  And to move that table, I have to move all the heavy stuff that is stored UNDER that table.  But-fer that, getting the wheel moved so I can put something ELSE there where the wheel was would be pretty easy.

John Baymore
Adjunct Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

Former Guest Professor, Wuxi Institute of Arts and Science, Yixing, China

Former President and Past President; Potters Council

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

http://www.nhia.edu/...ty/john-baymore

#23 Joseph F

Joseph F

no longer burnt out... yay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 08 December 2016 - 07:33 PM

I think my most redundant thing is old clay that I never plan on using. If that counts. I have so many bags of random clay that isn't labeled, but I know is cone 6. Maybe one day I will just make a ton of random stuff out of those clays. But I doubt it. I will probably toss it out one day when I actually need the space. 

#24 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 07:37 PM

Gunnas and Butfers

Well I'm gunna clean my shed ; the butfers are stopping this.

I have the odd day when I almost could but then I have this glorious thought, the kids can do this, hell I "would've"  another uselful word, cleaned up but fer them.

It is on my bucket list, the only thing there....

I do have a lot of buckets of clay under my table, I live on a sandy plain so I can contribute to the wettablility in my own small way.

Lots of stuff collected for texture need to be reinstated in the landscape.

#25 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, MSU-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,214 posts
  • LocationRed Lodge, Montana

Posted 09 December 2016 - 03:43 AM

Marcia,
John,
It is daunting but a necessity at this time. The move to Texas was to benefit Matt's career. IT has, but we never intended to live here forever. So it is now or never. downsizing is a good thing. Matt is an Army brat so he knows how to live with minimum baggage. I rarely moved during my life. BUt after attending my. 50th HS reunion this year, I am keeping my yearbook. I did get rid of more than 50% of my books with a lot going to the local. Library fundraiser. Downsized redundant stuff in the studio. good thing. LOads to the land fill included old artwork from 20 years ago, plaster molds, sheetrock slab boards, things never used including all those potentially cool things.
I think I have it organized to begin loading on Monday. CUrrently in Germany with Matt and meeting a potter friend today. BE back on Sunday to load on Monday.
And then. Smaller house, bigger studio, and. Greenhouse gardening.
Looking forward to baking again, making warm stick to your ribs soups, stews, etc.
Pot lucks with friends.
Marcia

I can't imagine completely moving at this point in our lives even if I did not have the studio. The household and stuff is daunting enough. Bravo to you for undertaking such an endeavor.

I could not imagine moving to another property even in the same town in which I live!

I actually have the option of moving to Japan should I want to (piece of land with studio and wood kiln access available to me there from a very generous and dear friend). As a potter...... the "fantasy" come true. But what a project to actually move. And internationally to boot. And such a move would not be good for my wife....... who is not "connected" to the Japanese people like I am and does not speak Japanese at all. Then there is the idea of leaving the family (kids and grandkids). Were we rich and could fly them over for visits and fly back to the US on a whim...... that would make it easier... but still not good. And then there is also living the expatriate life. I don't ever see it happening. Still visit, yes....... moving there, no.

Still working on the studio. Working on a lot of what I now know are "But-fers". (Thanks!)

best,

................john

PS: Current "but-fer" is that to get the kickwheel that I plan to sell OUT of the place it is in now, I have to move a HEAVY large 4' x 8' work table. And to move that table, I have to move all the heavy stuff that is stored UNDER that table. But-fer that, getting the wheel moved so I can put something ELSE there where the wheel was would be pretty easy.

Marcia Selsor, Professor Emerita,Montana State University-Billings
[http://www.marciaselsorstudio.com

#26 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 09 December 2016 - 04:55 PM

Had our house and out buildings painted with Duration paint from sherwin willaims .

Good for 25 years-and its looking great now after 5 years-no fading at all.

Finished the last foundation work last year for 20K with concrete crew

Not much left but to enjoy the place now.

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#27 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 4,170 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 10 December 2016 - 11:39 AM

Update....... redundant venturi gas burner I don't need (pilot one used on noborigama) going (free) to a undergrad student setting up a studio.  Better one I already have sitting there is going into it's place.

best,

...................john

John Baymore
Adjunct Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

Former Guest Professor, Wuxi Institute of Arts and Science, Yixing, China

Former President and Past President; Potters Council

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

http://www.nhia.edu/...ty/john-baymore

#28 Roberta12

Roberta12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 11 December 2016 - 12:51 PM

I usually major clean/throw out  twice a year.  Always in January!   I have two spaces that I work out of, and they are both a big ol' mess right now.  I do have some redundant items.  Yes, stamps that I have made, glazes I don't care for, bric a brac I picked up thinking it would be good texture (aka dumpster diving) some patterns, just random stuff.  I did clean and rearrange (Pugaboo inspired me !) in September.  It certainly does not take me long to make a really good mess though! Need to find better organization for a number of things, underglazes for one!

And to continue with the other part of this thread.....we too are doing the age in place thing.  New siding, new roof, remodeled kitchen, new flooring.....we may add more solar, but the major stuff is done.......

Roberta

#29 Evelyne Schoenmann

Evelyne Schoenmann

Ceramic Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland and Italy

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:15 AM

I definitely have too many stamps. Approx. 163.... But do you know why I was running desperately through Taipeh in November? Exactly! Looking for still more stamps.... :rolleyes:

I admire all of you who are doing one or even two clean ups/year. I should really do that too. Hmmmm, I could make this my major plan for 2017!

Evelyne Schoenmann
Studio: schoenmann ceramics
www.schoenmann-ceramics.ch

Advisory Board Member;
Potters Council of The
American Ceramic Society

Board Member of Swiss Ceramics Association

#30 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 14 December 2016 - 12:22 PM

it is good to finally be able to read all this at home.  you would not believe the "customer NONservice" i have had from the cable company here.

John,  to move that big kickwheel, could you not give it to a student and have him/her get 3 friends to lift and carry it over the 4x8 table to free up your much needed space?  at least you have access to young, strong, people who might want to earn a few dollars if you cannot do it otherwise.

there are none around me, neither north or south.

"putting you down does not raise me up."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users