Standard's Cone 6 Porcelains: 365 Vs 551

I have been using Standard Ceramic Supply Company 365 English Porcelain, primarily for throwing. My local supplier recently ran out and started carrying Standard's  551 V.P. (very plastic) Porcelain instead. If anyone has experience with both, I would love to know what differences you noticed and which you preferred.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Standard 551 does not feel anything like a typical grolleg porcelain. It feels like it has a bunch of ball clay in it. It is overly-plastic for a porcelain, and feels more like a white stoneware. If you like the non-plastic feel of a typical grolleg porcelain, you may not like the 551.

You can mix clay bodies as long as they are formulated to mature at the same temp.

Porcelain trimmings can be mixed with little problems. You can also add a bit of EPK and Nep Sy to replace the fines lost during throwing.

Standard is claiming no ball clay was used in their VP (very plastic) throwing body. Looking at the shrinkage and absorption, and reconciling that with their claim of no ball clay: I suspect they are using PV (plastic vitrox) and hectorite (light grey color) to produce this very plastic body. PV clay is white burning, so no harm done there. Hectorite is the natural (and much cheaper) version of macaloid. The combination would create a very plastic body: how well I know :). That explains why some of my note cards on experimental bodies are missing..

Very Plastic also equates to high green strength, and 100% vitrification due to the very high SAS values.

Nerd

Standard 551 does not feel anything like a typical grolleg porcelain. It feels like it has a bunch of ball clay in it. It is overly-plastic for a porcelain, and feels more like a white stoneware. If you like the non-plastic feel of a typical grolleg porcelain, you may not like the 551.

You can mix clay bodies as long as they are formulated to mature at the same temp.

Porcelain trimmings can be mixed with little problems. You can also add a bit of EPK and Nep Sy to replace the fines lost during throwing.

Standard is claiming no ball clay was used in their VP (very plastic) throwing body. Looking at the shrinkage and absorption, and reconciling that with their claim of no ball clay: I suspect they are using PV (plastic vitrox) and hectorite (light grey color) to produce this very plastic body. PV clay is white burning, so no harm done there. Hectorite is the natural (and much cheaper) version of macaloid. The combination would create a very plastic body: how well I know :). That explains why some of my note cards on experimental bodies are missing..

Very Plastic also equates to high green strength, and 100% vitrification due to the very high SAS values.

Nerd

Thank you both.

I had misunderstood that greater plasticity would make it /easier/ to throw, and that the main trade-off would be increased shrinkage and warping. But it sounds like you find it less workable for throwing. If that's the case, I think I may want to look for another supplier of the 365, even if it means traveling a bit farther.

I've tried those porcelains, and liked them both -  but unfortunately I didn't keep good enough notes to tell you what it was I  liked about them.   I just finished up a box of Standard's 213 porcelain, which I didn't like at all and will never buy again.  

Hope this helps a bit. 

To be honest, Standard's grolleg porcelains,  #365 cone 6 and and #257 cone 10, are the only porcelains of theirs that I like.

Is there another ^5-6 porcelain you like better?

Archived