Paint Mixer?

DirtRoads

I was thinking about using it for glaze.    It would save some time if it worked.  Takes 15 minutes but you could put it on that machine and do something else.

Guess if it doesn't work for glaze, might work for something else.  From the manufacturer:

"We have had customers use a F5 paint shaker to mix up gallon sized batches of margaritas."

Not sure it would save much time, if any. Assuming you mix your glazes, you'd still have to measure, mix, and then put into one gallon containers for another mix. If you buy glazes, you'd still have to transfer from plastic bottles to paint cans.

Then, again, there is always the shock of seeing a poorly strapped gallon of paint shooting off the mixer and down the paint department aisle (or pottery studio aisle) -- been there, done that in my retail days at the department store.

It will mix, but it won't reduce particle size very well. Meaning you'll still have clumps. You need something to move through the glaze to cut up and smash apart clumps, and/or move the liquid fast enough that it wears down the clumps, which is why we use a mixing blade on a drill. The paint shaker would eventually do it, but it would take a really long time.

I would get one just because they're really fun to watch. My grandpa owned a glass and paint shop when I was a kid, and we loved watching the paint shakers.

• 2 weeks later...

You might try a slip mixer or a similar set up where the jiffy mixer is on a stand. That would allow you to toss everything in and leave it run unattended.

I had an old style clamp on slip mixer which would work when attached to a sturdy container or clamped to a table. It worked the best when clamped to a table at the perfect height. Occasionally you might find an old commercial food mixer that may be re-purposed. 

I bought a better drill press for my shop and now use an old floor drill press with a jiffy mixer. I mounted a plywood table with a cutout for the bucket onto the drill press table and I am happier with it because you can change speeds.

Archived