Silicone Caulking Cure Time?

Min

I have to stick metal bearings on the bottom of pots, I usually use E6000 but I don't have time for it to dry for this batch. I'm using clear 100% silicone instead this time. Anybody know how long before it cures? The only info I could find was for caulking a 3/16 bead it takes 24 hours usually. Problem is my application won't be open to the air so I'm guessing cure time is longer? These metal parts need to be vertical without sliding for my display.

Thanks in advance for any advise, help or just hunches.

When you talk about bearings, Min, do you mean "lazy susan" types or individual ball bearings? Lazy susan types can probably adhered with "Liquid Nails" for construction. Individual balls can be done with 5 second Lazer Bond. You have to be able to see the Lazer Bond adhesive to cure it properly with the UV light.

Do NOT use Loctite construction adhesive...it does not set up as quickly and strongly as they claim. When you say the application won't be open to the air, how is it being installed? Can you post some pix of the layout?

JohnnyK

Hi Johnny,

Yup, lazy susan bearings. It's for a cheese board / lazy susan bottom, nothing complex. I wasn't very clear in my description, I just meant the adhesive is sandwiched between the bottom of the pot and the bearing, not open to the air like tub caulking would be. I have a display rack that holds about 8 of them standing up so I really can't have the bearings slide down. I went ahead and used the silicone last night, I did that before seeing your post this am, fingers crossed. Thanks for the tip re Liquid Nails curing quickly and not to use Loctite.

It's just a bunch of these things that I was doing last minute,

post-747-0-30610800-1480699754_thumb.jpg

Silicone generally takes around 24hrs to cure.  It cures with humidity in the air, so I suppose if it's in a humid environment, possibly with heat and airflow it will cure faster.

I like E-6000, it generally takes 24hrs, but sometimes takes longer.  These I'd go 72hrs if you had the time available.

I usually prefer a 2-part epoxy though.  Not too much a fan of the quicker 5min stuff, the longer the cure and the more opaque, the stronger it is.  If it doesn't have to be a clear, PC-11 (white) and PC-7 (charcoal) are my preferred "strong" paste epoxy.  I believe the PC epoxy is stronger than JB weld, but JB beats it in thermal resistance.  I can only find it on the shelf of Ace Hardware; or online.  Don't really have a preferred clear 2-part epoxy yet, but I'd go 30-min cure.

What I like about JB-Weld is you can make a cone with the adhesive and place it thru the mounting holes on a lazy-Susan bearing then mushroom down the cones for a better hold on to the pots.

Archived