Photo

Qotw: What Is The Coolest And Most Helpful Thingy You Have In Your Studio?

Question of the week;

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:34 AM

Led fluorescent bulbs in 4 foot fixtures bulbs are cheap at ledking
on eBay
Super long lasting low energy and very bright
Bought a few 100$ worth and redid all inside and outside lights with clear led bulbs
Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#22 Denice

Denice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts
  • LocationWichita, Kansas

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:33 PM

Marc I haven't heard of LED fluorescent bulbs, do you need to change fixtures and do you have a choice of soft white, warm white or cool white?  Most of the lights in our house our LED, we have been looking around for exterior LED flood lights but the few we have found were pricey.    Denice

#23 RonSa

RonSa

Still learning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationNortheast Pa

Posted 04 December 2016 - 05:29 PM

All you have to do is remove the transformer (ballast) on most LED tubes. I use them to start my vegetables in the early spring.

I'm using 6000k (bright cool white) and I know there are 3200k lights (Warm white) and temps too.

Four 48" tubes, 1800 lm each, 6000k = 72watts total compared to 160w for 4 florescent tubes

Price is around $45US for 4 tubes

Ron

#24 Joseph F

Joseph F

no longer burnt out... yay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 04 December 2016 - 05:43 PM

My dog. She always reminds me when it is time to take a break and eat some lunch. 

#25 LeeU

LeeU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 05 December 2016 - 12:37 AM

I have the LED tubes in my studio and that beautiful bright light is so helpful that I can do much better work, of any scale, than with any other type of lightng. It makes me want to really focus in on whatever detail or qualities I am wanting to get out of a piece, whether the form, the colors, textures, etc. I can always see my supplies and tools, even those hiding in a back space, and it's a light that is just plain cheerful, also a big "plus" for me. 

Lee Ustinich

#26 Pugaboo

Pugaboo

Lifetime artist 3rd year potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • LocationHelen, GA

Posted 05 December 2016 - 03:44 AM

A question for those using the LED tubes in their fluorescent fixtures.... do the LEDs flicker the way fluorescent tubes can? I removed all the long tube fluorescents because that flicker is an instant migraine trigger for me but am wondering if the long LED tube lights have fixed this issue?

T
The world is but a canvas to the imagination - Henry David Thoreau

#27 ChenowethArts

ChenowethArts

Senior Geek & Whimsical Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee - Where at least a few studios make something besides music.

Posted 05 December 2016 - 04:34 AM

A question for those using the LED tubes in their fluorescent fixtures.... do the LEDs flicker the way fluorescent tubes can? I removed all the long tube fluorescents because that flicker is an instant migraine trigger for me but am wondering if the long LED tube lights have fixed this issue?

T

Pug, From what I have read the flicker issue with traditional fluorescent tubes is not an issue with the new LED replacements.  Here's one of the better articles on the different types of LED replacements. http://www.premierltg.com - July 2015

-Paul

Paul Chenoweth
Visit/Like me on Facebook
Shop Etsy New!
Connect on Twitter
Mostly Ceramics on Pinterest

#28 ChenowethArts

ChenowethArts

Senior Geek & Whimsical Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee - Where at least a few studios make something besides music.

Posted 05 December 2016 - 04:43 AM

Having moved from a studio space that did not include a sink (*Gasp*), I have a custom, deep sink at a height where I don't have to stoop over to wash, mix, wipe stain, etc. It is a lifesaver for me...and of course, having a clay trap (my least favorite thing to clean but also MOST helpful).

I find it interesting that so many of us have mentioned music (and music delivery systems)...not surprised but getting a nice warm feeling about why I like these folks.  I cannot imagine my working space without having tunes readily available.

-Paul

I met a person once who told me SHE DOESN'T LIKE MUSIC. She doesn't listen to it, doesn't care for it, doesn't understand what everybody sees in it. 

She's a very nice person but I've never felt the same about her since then. I feel like something must be off in her brain. I mean, who doesn't like music? 

When I was first employed as a draftsman and floated from one architect's office to another, just about every situation had music playing...except one.  In that office, I showed up on my first day with a small radio and as soon as I was all set up and ready to draw, I flipped on the radio.  Every head in the office swiveled in my direction like an anti-aircraft tracking radar...evidently "Silence is Golden" was taken literally.  I didn't last a week there before moving to a happy space.  Its OK for some, but my tribe loves music!

-Paul :)

Paul Chenoweth
Visit/Like me on Facebook
Shop Etsy New!
Connect on Twitter
Mostly Ceramics on Pinterest

#29 RonSa

RonSa

Still learning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationNortheast Pa

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:55 AM

T

Mine don't flicker.

From what I understand (please check this) that florescent tubes flicker from some type of RF disturbance. Things like a AC to DC converters, battery chargers, microwaves and so on create RF that make florescent tubes flicker.

Ron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users