#21 LeeU

LeeU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:00 AM

Attached File  002 (3sm).jpg   241.57KB   0 downloadsIf I may make the case that rituals are often infused with, or generate, or are derivitive of symbolic meanings, than my "symbols" are expressed by an unwavering ritual. Neglect of any element of the ritual might--when my internal balance is off--be taken as a foreboding of failure, a symbol of bad ju-ju that whispers in my ear that I am wasting time and money.

Since I have figured that out, I tend to be rigid about my ritual, which is symbolic of being ready and willing to keep on keepin' on. In order to enter the studio and engage in the act of doing something with/to clay, I must: first, put a record on the turntable-chosen to either enhance a mood or change a mood; second, slip on my limited edition Crocs-Jackson Pollack Studio (the print is a direct image of his paint splattered floor); third, yes-the apron; fourth, light up Nag Champa's wonderful Super Hit stick incense, and finally; give myself "the talk"-the one that says "Of course I am not wasting time and money-I am a decent artist and people like my stuff and anything that helps me put one foot in front of the other is valuable, so just whisper 'thank you' get on with it." 

Lee Ustinich

#22 Rebekah Krieger

Rebekah Krieger

The extraordinary clay bender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 December 2016 - 10:36 PM

Some people have orange aprons. Some of us have orange crocs.
attachicon.gifimage.jpg

My green crocs are my uniform

~ Namaste ~

Home studio potter 

Shanel Pottery 

www.shanelpottery.com

www.facebook.com/shanelspottery 

"To me the greatest thing is to live beauty in our daily life and to crowd every moment with things of beauty.  It is then, and then only that  the art of the people as a whole is endowed with it's richest significance.  For it's products are those made by great a many craftsmen for the mass of the people, and the moment this art declines the life of the nation  is removed far away from beauty.  So long as beauty abides in only in a few articles created by a few geniuses, the kingdom of beauty is nowhere near realization."                                                                                 - Bernard Leach 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users