free mugs !

I have never had this bad of firing but I have seen two worse ones. The first one was in high school and the teacher left the kiln on over night and the low fire vases melted into puddles, it was his personal work I think he smoked to much MJ that night. The my second one was in college, it was the last firing of the year and a friend of mine put some low fire pieces in a reduction cone 10 firing. They melted like glass all over a hundred pieces in the kiln, I didn't loose anything I always fired my own work at home. It could have been worse. Denice

I LOVE the color.. what happened?! I think it is awesome you are doing this. I wish I would have taken some pictures of my firing mishaps.. I could easily beat that! My very first firing went great and everything turned out good. My second firing EVERYTHING but one piece broke! another time I was firing after glazing and a piece fell over and everything on the bottom shelf was fused together!

Denice.. is there really such a thing as TO MUCH MJ?? biggrin.gif

Buckeye,

The color on these particular mugs was "Duncan renaissance, antique celadon". Brushed two coats then a third random criss/cross on them. Slow bisque to cone 04.

I have a Vent-sure downdraft vent on ,and the kiln is new. Used Armadillo clay, (cinco blanco) cone 5 clay. The glaze is a cone 5/6. Slow glazed to cone 5 with

a 15 min. soak normal cool. Re-fired the whole kiln load to cone 5 with a 30 min. soak. No change. Same thing happened with other Duncan glazes and Amaco

potters choice glaze and Mayco dry mixed glaze. Three pots in the same firing were B-mix 10 clay with same glazes and they turned out fine. My GUESS is

the Armadillo clay and all the glazes did not work together at that temp. Blisters and craters everywhere and colors that were off. I will have to explore this further........or not.

Denise,

Knock on wood!

Juli

Buckeye,

The color on these particular mugs was "Duncan renaissance, antique celadon". Brushed two coats then a third random criss/cross on them. Slow bisque to cone 04.

I have a Vent-sure downdraft vent on ,and the kiln is new. Used Armadillo clay, (cinco blanco) cone 5 clay. The glaze is a cone 5/6. Slow glazed to cone 5 with

a 15 min. soak normal cool. Re-fired the whole kiln load to cone 5 with a 30 min. soak. No change. Same thing happened with other Duncan glazes and Amaco

potters choice glaze and Mayco dry mixed glaze. Three pots in the same firing were B-mix 10 clay with same glazes and they turned out fine. My GUESS is

the Armadillo clay and all the glazes did not work together at that temp. Blisters and craters everywhere and colors that were off. I will have to explore this further........or not.

Denise,

Knock on wood!

Juli

Maybe you need to bisque at a higher temp to remove gasses?

Juli, do you have a witness cone that says your kiln fired to cone 5? To me the pots look overfired. If the glaze worked better on cone 10 B-Mix, that also indicates the kiln may have fired higher than cone 5. If this is a new kiln, have you measured it with witness cones yet?

I also think Pres's suggestion is a good one, I'm just offering another suggestion.

Thanks for sharing, we all have humbling moments like these!

Mea

Mea and Marcia,Yes, I did use cones, and they showed almost a cone 6 first firing and second re-fire both top and bottom shelve. Question: If the glaze can go to a cone 5/6 and I fired in that range, shouldn't the glaze

look better? If I bisque hotter will the glazes take? I loved throwing with this clay so I hope I can figure this out. I will start with a higher bisque and no soak I guess.

Thank y'all for the suggestions.

Juli

Juli, if the glaze is rated for cone 5/6, and your clay is rated for cone 5, then an almost-cone-6 firing could indeed be too hot for that combo. I use a cone 5 clay and fire my kiln to 2185°F. When measured with witness cones it reads cone 5.5 on the top and bottom, and cone 5.75 in the middle. If I program my kiln just 10° higher, one of my glazes starts to blister like the blisters in your photo. Sometimes there's a fine line between what works and what doesn't work.

If you are really motivated to continue using this clay/glaze combo, I would test fire it to cone 3 with no soak. Hopefully they will come out slightly underfired, and then you'll know the correct answer is somewhere in between, and it won't take too much more time to figure it out.

Mea

• 2 weeks later...

Archived