Help! Can You Add Paint After A Piece Has Been Glazed/fired/finished?

I purchased a piece of pottery with my daughters footprints made into seasonal artwork. I picked up the piece and brought it home, only to realize that the artist left my daughters name and age off the platter. Is there any going back to correct this or is it a done deal once a piece has Been glazed/fired/finished? I have no experience with this so any advice is appreciated. I would love to salvage the piece if possible. Thanks!

You could add the names using Porcelaine Paint, just don't paint anywhere food will touch. It comes in jars as well as markers. You paint it on then bake the piece in your home oven for an hour at 300 degrees. That's what I would do, I often add touches of color to jewelry or boxes using it. You can get it at most craft stores like Michaels or Hobby Lobby.

T

Go to a hobby store and buy a small bottle of craft acrylic paint in the color you want ... even gold or silver if that is what you want. Paint it on ... bonus is that you can wash it off and try again as often as you need to. Once it is dry and you are happy with it ... cover it with the clear varnish you will find in the same area of the store. You can even use a clear, non yellowing spray to seal it. That too should be in the same area of the store. Do not use the finished piece for anything other than decoration.

Archived