Help Diagnosing Glaze Or Kiln Problem?

I use these 2 commercial glazes together on a regular basis. Just recently, I've started having a problem with the 2 glazes developing this ugly black line where they meet. My guess is that is has something to do with kiln atmosphere? Note sure, though and I haven't been able to do anything to remedy it with the last few batches. I've tried vacuuming the kiln and removing an addional plug with no luck so far.

These are fired at cone 06 in an electric kiln. I also use the kiln for fused glass and firing decals, so I'm a bit worried about contamination as well.

Any ideas?

My guess is that there is a reaction taking place between the two glazes. Looks like the bottom may be a copper based glaze and the reaction may be metallic copper being formed because of some reduction condition taking place... of copper oxide being formed because the top glaze is more basic than the bottom.

This is just a guess. Could be caused by just a contaminant in the glaze.  If you are firing electric, then your atmosphere is probably oxidizing.

Run a test tile with both of the glazes mixed together and see if the whole thing turns black.

PS... I hope those bowels are not being used for food.

It does look like a reaction, but I use these 2 glazes in combo all the time, been doing so for years. This problem just developed within the past month....

No, definitely not using these for food, they are decorative :)

Should I be concerned about fusing or 22K gold decals in the kiln causing this?

Thanks for the thoughts!

Could you post how you bisque and glaze fire re length of time / ramping / if and how the kiln is vented / when you put the peephole plugs in if you don't use a vent plus how densely you pack the bisque. Also, are you using lustres or just gold decals? 

Guest JBaymore

Are you firing raw clay to bisque in the same 04 firing that the glaze is being fired in?

Is all the work in the kiln YOUR pieces... or do others have stuff in there also?

Are you or anyone else using paperclay in these firings?

best,

.............john

These are slip cast, low fired to cone 04, I am unsure of the slip formulation. I don't feel like the clay body is the culprit as I've not had this problem with the same clay until very recently. Guess that's why I'm thinking kiln atmosphere.

There is also a dark patch in the upper right, basically this flaw is subject to occur any place where the two glazes meet. (The white may appear matte due to a lighter application in that spot as it is brushed on, not dipped.)

I'm only using gold decals, no lusters.

My glaze fire is to cone 06, Med speed, not too densely packed, usually only fill the kiln about 1/3 full on 1 1/2 full shelves. One peephole out. No vent. It is digitally controlled and I haven't verified temps with cones recently. ( I did when first starting out with this kiln.)

Guest JBaymore

Looks to me in the photo like maybe inadvertent carbon trap.  Trying to find the source of the reduction atmosphere.  (Mark caught my drift there. :) )

Clay body change with higher organics could be it.  Lots of decal paper.  Lots of wax or latex.

No active vent is a potential contributor.

best,

...............john

• 2 weeks later...

Archived