Stoneware Glaze Unexpectedly Crazing :(

PottaFella

Been using a Michael Bailey Cone 6 recipe 'T14' that is now very badly crazing on a stoneware body ES5 (image attached - illustrated jug) which I actually fired to more like cone 8.

I modified the glaze slightly in that it did not contain the Lithium carbonate given in recipe.

No crazing that I noticed when it came out of kiln, but over several weeks it has been getting bad. Main problem – the jug leaks!

As far as I can remember I did things 'right' ie. nice slow cool down and didn't open the kiln until temp was quite cool. Had been previously bisqued at 1000c.

Please do take a look at recipe below and can anyone say if it looks likely to craze, 'cause if so I will look for a more reliable glaze.

Soda feldspar 70

Bentonite 3

Lithium Carb 3

Dolomite 7

Zinc oxide 5

Flint (or quartz) 12

Many thanks for any help :)

post-61816-0-24843000-1479484446_thumb.jpg

post-61816-0-24843000-1479484446_thumb.jpg

It does probably have quite high expansion with all the soda feldspar. Lithium will help the crazing. If you have no lithium carbonate you could swap out say 5 of the soda feldspar for a lithium feldspar (if you have that) and see if it fixes the crazing.

Is it leaking out through the bottom? Could be that the clay is underfired even at cone8. Usual rubbish from the company that "Scarva Earthstone Original White matures between 1180°C-1280°C" 

It does probably have quite high expansion with all the soda feldspar. Lithium will help the crazing. If you have no lithium carbonate you could swap out say 5 of the soda feldspar for a lithium feldspar (if you have that) and see if it fixes the crazing.

Is it leaking out through the bottom? Could be that the clay is underfired even at cone8. Usual rubbish from the company that "Scarva Earthstone Original White matures between 1180°C-1280°C" 

The lithium will have a big effect on the COE of the glaze.

I did have some Lithium Carb but I could never get it to go through a sieve it was so coarse – so guess what – I gave up on it!  Looks like I paid the price :(

Incidentally, where I have used this glaze but with addition of very small amounts of oxides (nickel and cobalt), I seem to have escaped without the crazing.

The lithium will have a big effect on the COE of the glaze.

I did have some Lithium Carb but I could never get it to go through a sieve it was so coarse – so guess what – I gave up on it!  Looks like I paid the price :(

Incidentally, where I have used this glaze but with addition of very small amounts of oxides (nickel and cobalt), I seem to have escaped without the crazing.

Put you lithium material in blender wet and grind for 5 minutes-it will sieve easy after that.Blenders are cheap at thrift stores 

Oxides definitely make a difference to the glaze formula - others will know if it's the expansion - that will be why they didn't craze. This glazing business is very frustrating....I sympathise Oly.

Soda feldspar 70                                           52

Bentonite 3                                      EPK          5

Lithium Carb 3                   Spodumene      15

Dolomite 7                                                         8

Zinc oxide 5                                                       4

Flint (or quartz) 12                                          15

COE    7.59                                            COE    6.78  

Stoneware clay typical COE 5.75 

Main problem – the jug leaks!  ................actually fired to more like cone 8.

You fired a C6 clay body to C8: and still have weeping problems. This tells me either you need to change your firing schedule to mature the clay, or this perticular clay body is under-fluxed.

Nerd

EDIT NOTE: a vitrified clay body will not weep, regardless of glaze application. http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/15077-nerds-vitrification-test/?hl=%2Bnerds+%2Bvitrification+%2Btest

Nerd, I believe this is a ^4-^9 clay.

Oly, can you get a clay with a narrower firing range or have you taken this to clay to ^9 then checked for porosity/absorption? If it's vitrified at ^9 you could try a high fire glaze instead of the ^6 one.

In defence of ES5: I use it regularly. I bisque to 1050°C and ^6 glaze fire  to 1210°C with a 15 minute hold. I did an absorption test on some pieces a couple of years back and got a figure of either 1.2. or 1.6. I can't quite remember which it was, but I know I was satisfied with it at the time.

There are 25,000 plus members on this forum: I do believe it is petition time. We need to send a petition to the various clay companies demanding that they stop the practice of "ranging" cone. Specify a single cone, or at most 5/6 or 9/10... etc.

That number is registered members . . . not all active, etc. I doubt you would get more than a couple hundred signatures to a petition (and that is generous). It is not only the manufacturers, but the schools and community studios who order and make students use multi-range clays. And one would figure those places would know better.

Bruce:

Point taken!  Sad commentary that schools promote the mindset that this practice is acceptable. Perhaps I will just start putting up the email address's of the clay companies, so people can register their complaints and problems: perhaps that will change this trade practice.

Nerd

Archived