Help With Drying Method For My Situation

Hey Everyone,

I have moved and do not have a normal "studio" space.  The space that I've been using is actually a converted garage that also has my laundry dryer in the same room.  Unfortunately I am running into some major issues in the drying process in my greenware stage.  I live in a cold climate so during some points in the year my "studio" gets very cold and then when my dryer is running, it gets fairly warm in that space.  I've tried drying in other rooms but I also have kids and, well, things haven't survived to reach bisque firing. Does anyone know if a damp box would help in this situation in controlling the immediate environment a little?  If so, has anyone used a plastic bin or tote with a lid as a cheaper alternative to a damp box as I'm not prepared to spend lots of cash at the moment on an official dampbox.

If any of you have a similar situation and have any ideas or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

I use tupperware containers upside down for smaller pieces and 5 gallon buckets for larger pots. I have formica table tops so the containers sit tight, Pieces stay damp for a long time. I usually leave them overnight and comeback in the morning to uncover so they're ready for trimming later in the day.

I am moving back to a cold climate soon. Need to get a heater in the garage which is going to be my studio.

Marcia

Are you looking to keep things damp or make them dry?

A damp box will keep things leather hard for a very long time, I have test pieces in one damp box going in 2 years with them remaining pliable. If you want to control and encourage drying of pieces a damp box isn't going to help you.

If it is cold and damp I would get a space heater to warm up and dry out the space and keep it at a constant temperature. If it's simply damp then a dehumidifier will encourage drying and keep the moisture in the air at a constant point.

I have heard of potters putting pieces in a warm oven to speed up drying but have never tried it myself. I know some here put their pieces in the sun to get the to dry. I personally have an old film drying cabinet that has fan and heater settings that if I absolutely must dry something quickly I can turn on. It even works to slow things down if I put them in there shut the door and not turn anything on.

Not sure if any of these things will help with what you are asking about.

T

i dont understand your question. do you want to control how long your pieces stay leather hard? and a way of keeping them safe.

do you have space for a refrigerator? a non working one. a local potter swears that a non working fridge makes for a great slow drying box. 

Archived