What Clay Would You Suggest For A Beginner?

i hope you plan to recycle your clay. i am a student and throw a significant amount. i wouldnt be able to throw as much if i didnt use recycled clay since i cant afford buying 700 lbs of clay every 4 months. 

700# in 4 month, nice.

Yes, we have been recycling our clay.

We just need to work out a system that works for us.

UPS dropped off two Bailey Pros and one mini slab roller yesterday. Today we will be assembling them along with laying out our studio.

Ceramic Supplies delivers clay for free if the order is over a certain amount. The delivery is expected to drop on Monday.

I see good times ahead.

preeta, dark clay sticks to my fingers, the nails, the wrinkles and is so hard to get off without taking even more skin with it.   white clay does get into the same places but it does not dye my skin so that i look dirty even after a total shower, hair washing, soapy dishwashing and any other cleaning activity.

I'm still experimenting with clays, as some of my other posts bear out. Not just little issues with glaze fit, pinholes and pots weeping, but playing with fired clay colour and texture, different decorating techniques (painting/sgraffito on earthenware, terracotta, porcelain bodies gives very different effects). The iron content of different clays gives nice and varying effects under glazes. 

For anyone starting out in this 'creative' hobby/business, there is a lot to experiment and have fun (and frustration) with, using some of the multitude of different clays available.

I have one darker toasted clay that really stains my hands so not so keen on that one!

Archived