Ceramic Pincushions-Everything You Need To Know To Make Them

• 4 months later...

So I made these...

I did them in cooperation with a local fabric/yarn/garment making shop: she supplied the incredible fabrics, I did the clay part. The pinch pot critter ones are just bare clay with slip decoration, and they're fired to maturity. I sanded the final pieces (yes with all necessary precautions) so that they have a really nice soft hand feel. The simple glazed ones are nice, because they let the scrap fabrics really shine, and they do indeed make great kiln filler.

post-63667-0-42804600-1496437152_thumb.jpeg

post-63667-0-59639600-1496437166_thumb.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

So I made these...

I did them in cooperation with a local fabric/yarn/garment making shop: she supplied the incredible fabrics, I Ning ydid the clay part. The pinch pot critter ones are just bare clay with slip decoration, and they're fired to maturity. I sanded the final pieces (yes with all necessary precautions) so that they have a really nice soft hand feel. The simple glazed ones are nice, because they let the scrap fabrics really shine, and they do indeed make great kiln filler.

Well done! Nice use of the hem gauge for scale!

My friend, the professional seamstress, had all her employees save their hair cleaned from combs and brushes and she used it for pin cushion stuffing. Many of us know that running your needle (or diaper pin - that's how old I am) through your hair helps it to slide through fabric due to hair's natural oils.

• 2 years later...

I recently developed a need for a pincushion. I started shopping for one, and found that all of the ones you can buy either look like they are not very functional, or they are way too cutesy for me. Then I remembered that @Mark C. had posted his pincushion design with instructions on the forum. I searched the forum and found this thread. 

Now I have a new pincushion that is very functional and suits my tastes. All of the materials were already in my house, so it was free too. Thank you, Mark!!

pincushion.jpg.fe7d2f86bc8f7b01723e8b03a2ba29f4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived