#21 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, MSU-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,350 posts
  • LocationRed Lodge, Montana

Posted 12 November 2016 - 09:47 PM

I would imagine that community teaching venues have a built in aspect to creating a community. The potters from well established communities over time have developed community efforts like the 18 hands in Virginia to the Studio tours outside Minneapolis. It takes tie.
Marcia
Marcia Selsor, Professor Emerita,Montana State University-Billings
[http://www.marciaselsorstudio.com

#22 LeeU

LeeU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 13 November 2016 - 12:45 PM

Mostly I keep to myself. I work out of my house and I live in a rural area with long travel distances to other towns where there might be some clay-centered people/activities. I garner a lot of fellowship and interaction from these CAD forums/active posters. Very grateful for this!!

I don't much care for exhibits/craft shows anymore...kinda too much "been there, done that" in terms of how I run my life these days. I try to go if people I know are in a show or holding an open studio, but, again, I just don't travel all that much.

I have met quite a few extraordinary ceramicists in person, here in NH, heavy hitters and rising artists, mostly associated with the New Hampshire Institute of Art and some from the NH Potters Guild.  I have been going to the NH Potters Guild meetings, which are also long distances from me. I joined the Guild, met some great potters and have access to a wood kiln. Meetings are quarterly and include a bring-a-dish, which is fun. I was hoping for a strong sense of community, but frankly I have been disappointed with the overall thrust of the group as a developing non-profit. The Guild, in my perception, is very disorganized and the active core community is just a little "closed". I have not found the kind of cohesion that makes me feel like I "fit in". My offer (to the board/and the membership) of assistance to coordinate a small development committee, to include a much needed update of paper and electronic databases and to work on a new website, had zero takers.

Once I get disenchanted, I am usually done with putting out a lot of effort, so I just "keep on keeping on", doing my thing! I guess "my pottery community" is more online than local, and certainly very supportive. I also get a lot of support from non-clay people who like what I am doing and who seem interested in learning about the various processes they see me do, which is quite satisfying. 

Lee Ustinich

#23 Rebekah Krieger

Rebekah Krieger

The extraordinary clay bender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 December 2016 - 10:33 PM

I do not have a physical community here. There are several potters in northern Wisconsin and near Madison but I'm not young/cool enough to jive with the students/ up and coming potters and I'm not experienced enough to be accepted by the experienced collective. There really isn't a place for a middle aged basement mom potter. I did try my local artist guild and they had me on the board, but all they seemed to care about was plen air promotions.

~ Namaste ~

Home studio potter 

Shanel Pottery 

www.shanelpottery.com

www.facebook.com/shanelspottery 

"To me the greatest thing is to live beauty in our daily life and to crowd every moment with things of beauty.  It is then, and then only that  the art of the people as a whole is endowed with it's richest significance.  For it's products are those made by great a many craftsmen for the mass of the people, and the moment this art declines the life of the nation  is removed far away from beauty.  So long as beauty abides in only in a few articles created by a few geniuses, the kingdom of beauty is nowhere near realization."                                                                                 - Bernard Leach 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users