Duncan Ea820-2 Kiln Question

Hello Folks,

My wife and I just finished a 6-week pottery class and we enjoyed it thoroughly. We plan on building a studio and continue taking classes as they become available.

I came across a Duncan EA820-2 kiln for $200 that looked brand new. Not a single cracked brick and none of the elements are sagging. I did turn on the kiln and the elements warmed up. It came with 2 full shelves, 2 half shelves, and 9 silts. It was missing the peephole plugs and I just ordered replacements.

Looking at the plate on the kiln I see that it requires 24amps. Looking at the plug I see its a 50amp plug which makes me think I might need a 240v 50amp outlet.

As luck would have it I already have a 240v 30amp installed outlet and its even located next to a window for venting. I'm thinking I should be okay if I just change out the plug.

Any thoughts? is this a good idea?

Thanks Neil

Its an old kiln and the outlet that matches the plug on the kiln has been depreciated (no longer made). I'm sure if I look around enough I can find a matching outlet but it would be easier to just replace the plug.

I see you are a Kiln repair tech, I hope you wouldn't mind if a ask another question or two.

The manual reads that I should keep the kiln 10" away from any flammable material. The wall is cement block so that isn't a problem but there is a wood floor.

The stand for the kiln is 8" tall. I was thinking of placing a sheet Durock, that is used for free standing wood stoves, on the floor then 2" thick cement blocks under the stand. Is this enough of a shield or should I build it thicker?

Thanks

I generally recommend 18 inches from anything flammable, but 10" from a block wall will be fine. Put down two layers of cement board and you'll be good to go.

The only issue you may have with changing the plug is that if the cord is 50 amp you may have a hard time fitting it into the plug assembly. In that case you should change out the whole cord for a 30 amp setup. Ideally you want to use 105C/220F cord, not the lower rated stuff they sell at the hardware store. I usually use the SEOW type cords they sell at McMaster-Carr. Just get the plug at the hardware store- they're expensive from McMaster.

My concern is the wiring is rated for 30amps, its not really a good idea to install a 50amp outlet with 30amp wiring.

I found a plug on Amazon that can be converted to either 30 or 50 amps, hopefully it can handle the 50amp cord. I'll found out when the plug comes in.

Thanks again.

Yes you are right Neil.

My thinking is this: down the road if someone other than me decided to plug in a 50amp box in a 50amp outlet with a 30amp breaker then wonder why things are not going as expected.

At least with a 30amp outlet they have to think first. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I got everything wired up, tested and let the kiln heat up for about 20 minutes. I have two layers of Durock on the floor. So far so good.

Now I want to do a bisque test firing. I'm thinking while I'm at it I might as well make some sample tiles to glaze on the next test.

1) I'm going to make some clay stripes about 1" x 2" or so. I plan on curling the end something like a fish hook or maybe an L. I'm thinking when I fire the glaze its going to look different on the side as opposed to the bottom.

The person I purchased the kiln from said she ran the kiln on low for an hour and then medium for an hour. Next she plugged in the peepholes and lid vent and switched it to HI for bisque and Hi Fire for glaze. The lid was closed the whole time.

This kiln has a sitter and a timer and is 3 cubic foot in size. I'll be firing to ^04.  I know the timer is a backup in case the sitter goofs up for some reason

2) How long to set the timer?

I'm I going in the right direction?

• 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Has anyone had the lid catch fire, or start to smoke? I have just purchased one of these kilns in great shape, I went to test fire it, I had shut the lid about an hour into the firing  but with the top peep hole closed as well and started seeing smoke, and black burn marks on the top/outside after 10+ minutes. It isn't a brick lid, it looks like its softer, maybe made with ceramic fiber or insulation of some sort. Would the bad ventilation (having both holes covered and lid closed) cause this to happen? If I close the lid after the two hour mark and uncover the top hole, I feel it would still get too hot and cause the lid to start smoking again. Any help or tips? Thanks!

Archived