Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, MSU-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,350 posts
  • LocationRed Lodge, Montana

Posted 30 October 2016 - 11:05 PM

Min,
I have seen very large tinajas repaired like that in Spain. I think it shows how much the original was appreciated, so it is repaired to continue its life.
Marcia Selsor, Professor Emerita,Montana State University-Billings
[http://www.marciaselsorstudio.com

#23 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,316 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 31 October 2016 - 01:07 AM

I like imperfect pots. That means its not perfect or has some flaw or is irregular or looks different that normal.Touched by my hand or shows finger marks in the glaze or flame has altered the form or glaze. These works stand out on their own.

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#24 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, MSU-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,350 posts
  • LocationRed Lodge, Montana

Posted 31 October 2016 - 07:12 AM

I agree, Mark. I think functional pottery is more  appealing with a quality of the human touch. 

Marcia

Marcia Selsor, Professor Emerita,Montana State University-Billings
[http://www.marciaselsorstudio.com

#25 preeta

preeta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 13 November 2016 - 11:11 PM

(gritting my teeth i am going to answer. i am not a member of potter's council so dont feel right posting here)

a certain still very alive memory comes to mind when i read Satake's words. i still remember as a elementary age child commenting on a beautiful baby playing in a garbage dump covered in dirt and snot. i remember that feeling of breathtaking beauty. and i got reprimanded by all the adults who could only see the dirt. how could the baby be beautiful when it was covered in dirt. 

i feel the world is divided into two groups. realism and abstract. with some art education one can appreciate the other. without any art education its really hard to 'enjoy' certain types of art. 

i am a product of the eastern wabi sabi world living in the 'perfect' world today. yet even in the east i didnt fit in. 

the kind of pots i like to make happens because of the claybody i use. i love the claybody because it still stays very malleable even at the leatherhard stage so i can 'imperfect' the pot to find my 'perfect' in it.

i am a maker of 'certain kind' of pots. they always get a reaction, not that that is what i am aiming for. people either hate it or love it. as long as its not boring i am happy. yet i am always on the lookout for making the 'perfect' pot. i still havent found it. i am having lots of fun searching for it, but i think it will be a sad day when i find it. today before i even finish making one pot the next one has already appeared awaiting to be made. 

for me being imperfect is being human. feeling fingermarks is very meaningful to me. yet eva zeisel's mother and child salt shakers reduces me to tears.

so my idea of a perfection is reaction. good or bad. all my favourite painters are those whose pieces i would never hang on my wall. 

one of the perfect pots i have is from a potter i dont even like in person. its a simple pot with a very emotionally moving rim. instead of destroying the failing pot he kept on going which gave it an unique but functional rim. it is a self portrait. 

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users