Perfect Fit For A Lid.

A great way to get an exact fit for your lid to pot.

When the pieces are dry before bisque fire put the pot back on the wheel. Center and secure by your favorite  method and spin the pot,now hold the lid gently on the pot. With the pot spinning and the lid not they will sand each other to a perfect fit, move the lid slightly in a circular motion to get a loser fit to allow for the space that the glaze will use if your design requires it.

I have tried your technique years ago, and had problems with hairline cracks that only showed after the bisque, and in a few cases only after the glaze. I find it much easier to do similar in the leather hard stage, gently. I have had issues with lids not fitting after bisque and used a dremel to work the lid or the pot rim to fit. Best bet anymore is to make certain they fit after trimming.

Leather hard is better to make sure lid and pot fits tight. If it is a teapot, that little bit of wiggle room will help to prevent pressure build up inside when hot liquid is inside. Best thing to do is to throw lid and body from the same batch of clay and right there at the same time.......unless you do production line. 

Leather hard is better to make sure lid and pot fits tight. If it is a teapot, that little bit of wiggle room will help to prevent pressure build up inside when hot liquid is inside. Best thing to do is to throw lid and body from the same batch of clay and right there at the same time.......unless you do production line.

Babs here,

Teapot lids are made with small hole in them so can be of tight fit or not.

Once again Babs: I agree. Make many teapots with well fitting lids in my lifetime as a potter...................... :rolleyes: too tight........especially if you do not make a hole like so many potters  not do..............cause a problem. Maybe you saw my teapot review in CM  October 2011 about teapots and all its features.  :rolleyes:

Nope I didn't but have had to educate many young, well my daughter and son on the necessity to heat the pot before putting the tea and water in because that makes for better tea, and a lot of teapots made by non tea drinkers do not have holes on lids.

Also use unboiled water in the kettle for tea!

Although from habit most of us put a finger on the lid when pouring, still think the hole and snug fitting lid, or a lid with a nick in the phalange, my word there, is the way to go for "real" teapots ;) Not a huge task for the maker and makes for a more functional pot IMO. 

I've noted some teapots now come with 2 lids........

Sydney, that is in case the right lid breaks. LOL. Make your measurements well and remake if necessary, but it is best to keep your teapot under covers untill everything works out well to go into the bisque. 

Babs, you will not need to hold the lid if you make sure the flange goes in deep enough. The rule of thumb is that the flange measurement ( in lenght) must be a little over half the width of the teapot opening

Archived