Uncommon Functional Forms

what are some not very common functional forms. i've noticed some of my classmates make shaving bowls, garlic grater and i just recently discovered the enclosed salt shaker, which made me realize the salt pig is ceramic too.

where i am i do see spoon rests, butter bells, coasters, bird houses, soap dishes, ring and jewelry holders.

I like to use a sculptural viewpoint, make a very heavy object, and then do a little hollowing out to enable it, as a table piece, to also serve as a tea light holder, cone incense burner, or small catch-all, if desired. This green piece is solid stoneware, with a larger well on one end and a small well on the other. It's about 3" H, 3.5 across on one end and 2.5 on the other. The wells are fairly shallow, but functional.

post-63409-0-23889500-1476802935_thumb.jpg

post-63409-0-61370200-1476802943_thumb.jpg

post-63409-0-23889500-1476802935_thumb.jpg

post-63409-0-61370200-1476802943_thumb.jpg

Its a 1 1/2 # small Pitcher with a strap handle on the outside that holds a small wooden whip.

I have one outlet that sells a zillion of them.

My problem with them is they are one of those items that the customer will break the strap handle and it will be a sharp broken pitcher very soon.

I know they sell well but its designing poor functionality into a piece so cuteness prevails.

They only sell so so at fairs.

I do make trucker mugs (travel mugs) as well

Giselle until i saw mark's reply i thought so myself that i meant wheel forms. but now that i see the non wheel projects i am excited to see the posts. however ever since i saw this glorious voluminous pinch pot pitcher i want to make one. 

gosh the one that got me was the pincushion. i spent quite a bit of time researching pincushions and whip pitchers (i could find very little on whip pitchers so i am glad you asked G).

ever since i found out about ceramic drums i've been dying to make one. but it has to wait because right now i am working on different shapes on the wheel (vase forms) and so far i have way more unsuccessful pieces than successful ones. i've learnt a tonne. 

Lee i love the idea of heaviness and taking away. 

SydneyG i love bracelets. till last week, i've been wearing inches of bracelets on both wrists. i would cover them with cut up socks and throw. till last week when i started throwing tall cylinders. for the first some in over 20 years my wrists saw light of day and i saw the marked tan lines. i still wear bracelets on both wrists but not that many. the moment i move on to other forms or become proficient in tall cylinders i will put all those bracelets back on. but i do not like chunky bracelets. 

mark i just spent more time again on looking up strap handles. i still havent found a whip pitcher picture online. is a strap handle like this sugar pot? but that wouldnt make sense on a pitcher. bridges-pottery-salt-pig-sugar-cup-sugar

I sold tons of pincushions in the 70's-90's before sewing dropped away and now many do not know about sewing .

I still have one left with cats on it.

Many forms are not on the internet. The good stuff is out in the real world.

Its a 1 1/2 # small Pitcher with a strap handle on the outside that holds a small wooden whip.

I have one outlet that sells a zillion of them.

My problem with them is they are one of those items that the customer will break the strap handle and it will be a sharp broken pitcher very soon.

I know they sell well but its designing poor functionality into a piece so cuteness prevails.

They only sell so so at fairs.

I do make trucker mugs (travel mugs) as well

AHA! Thank you. 

I have a little glass jar like that with a strap to hold a wooden spoon. Well the wooden spoon is lost so now there is a weird strap just sitting there for no reason. 

I have very definitely noticed that there is a weird dichotomy between what sells in person and what sells online. 

Giselle until i saw mark's reply i thought so myself that i meant wheel forms. but now that i see the non wheel projects i am excited to see the posts. however ever since i saw this glorious voluminous pinch pot pitcher i want to make one. 

gosh the one that got me was the pincushion. i spent quite a bit of time researching pincushions and whip pitchers (i could find very little on whip pitchers so i am glad you asked G).

I like to have slab projects in mind for days when my throwing is off. Sometimes I can't center no matter what so it's better to move on to another project. 

A suggestion for an uncommon slab form: tissue box covers. Some people make them but most people don't make them well. Truly handmade ones (not just manufactured bisque ware that has been glazed) are hard to find. I have even had people buy ones that had slightly cracked in the kiln. They didn't care, they said they would turn that side to the back. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JBaymore

Many forms are not on the internet. The good stuff is out in the real world.

As soon as it 'gets on the Internet'..... and is a good design idea........ someone then copies it, off-shore manufactures it, and then imports it back to the USA to sell in a big box store.  :rolleyes:  B)

best,

.....................john

Archived