Photo

Qotw: Ceramics In Action Pictures Anybody?

Question of the week;

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 16 October 2016 - 12:26 PM

Heres one of one of my  thrown sinks and my tile wrap around-I made the tile tub to ceiling in shower on all three sides  and around a window and it flows into the sink-it stoneware cone 10 from the early 80's. This is our bathroom at home.

Its held up for 35 years now.

Attached Files

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#22 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 16 October 2016 - 03:08 PM

very nice!  classic color and design will never go out of style.

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#23 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 05:30 PM

Brass faucet by Chicago Faucet-still a classic

free standing sink with cherry wood wrap around hanging off the wall.

Mark Cortright

#24 alabama

alabama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • LocationSlapout

Posted 16 October 2016 - 08:57 PM

Attached File  IMG_20161015_130617.jpg   115.06KB   2 downloads

Attempting to attach photos to à post!

Two pictures are from the Ft. Toulouse Indian village and one at the bread oven showing a French butter bell and fresh butter made from but not pictured ceramic churn..

AlabamaAttached File  IMG_20161015_124258.jpg   81.52KB   1 downloadsAttached File  IMG_20161015_124105.jpg   127KB   1 downloads

#25 glazenerd

glazenerd

Macro Crystalline Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Mo.

Posted 16 October 2016 - 11:11 PM

Mark:

Making sinks is one of the big factors in my decision to buy a wheel. Trying hard to come up with a product line that does not require me to go to shows: do not have the time. I was just offered the Bldg./Zoning Inspector for our city: still have not given my decision, but giving it much thought. I sell my tile through two high end interior decorators, and was planning on selling sinks through two high end kitchen/bath shops. Having been in the carpenter biz all my life, I know most of the top end supply houses and decorating shop owners. I usually bisq 2-3 tons of porcelain liners in the spring, for inventory. Was planning on making a 19 and 21" drop in sink: and keeping 40-50 in bisque stock. It will be awhile before that happens: still have a lot to learn on the wheel.

Nerd

#26 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 01:23 AM

That job would take up a lot of your Tile time-I thought you retired?Now I think your are a type A guy like me who likes a lot on your plate.

Throwing sinks for me was a phase I moved thru-custom work, sinks with matching ceramic handles on the faucets . Now I just say NO.

I did that for some clients who built custom homes. Now not enough money on planet for me to make a sink.Since my wrist surgery I need to do less with wrist not stress it more.I am settling for smaller forms. I already did the huge stuff in my career no need to do more of it.

Its funny the progression of throwing is always towards the larger forms-now it means nothing to me.I can appreciate a small well thrown pot more than a huge ugly vessel that screams its BIG but thats all.

Back to sinks they require lots of things to get right especially the overflows.

Mark Cortright

#27 Evelyne Schoenmann

Evelyne Schoenmann

Ceramic Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland and Italy

Posted 17 October 2016 - 11:14 AM

Mark: wow, that is beautiful. I think I would never have the courage to start a big project like that. Congrats!

Alabama: I like that big bowl (where the butter is in it) enormously! Very beautiful the brown outside and the blue inside and the interesting rim! I always loved your works!

Nerd: Building/Zoning Inspector sounds great. Much influence on the beauty of a city. If you can spare the time, go for it!

Evelyne Schoenmann
Studio: schoenmann ceramics
www.schoenmann-ceramics.ch

Advisory Board Member;
Potters Council of The
American Ceramic Society

Board Member of Swiss Ceramics Association

#28 ayjay

ayjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK.

Posted 17 October 2016 - 05:07 PM

In use more than in action maybe:-

Coffee

Attached File  coffee.jpg   380.75KB   0 downloads

Tuna, marinating before going in a pasta sauce

Attached File  tuna.jpg   401.72KB   0 downloads

Breakfast - Orange juice -  toast and pate - toast and a soft tangy creamy blue cheese

Attached File  breakfast.jpg   163.67KB   0 downloads

#29 ayjay

ayjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK.

Posted 17 October 2016 - 05:09 PM

Rejects are good enough for brushes, (and there's plenty of both).

Attached File  brushpots.jpg   434.34KB   0 downloads

#30 glazenerd

glazenerd

Macro Crystalline Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Mo.

Posted 17 October 2016 - 05:19 PM

That job would take up a lot of your Tile time-I thought you retired?

over the next year with the houses and other jobs it will be very time consuming. However, once I finish those up and move solely into this new one: 28-30 hours a week: which for me is semi retirement. Two of the four houses are on the schedule next spring: which I would pass on if they were not the kids of parents that have been long time customers. I can do inspections between 6-10am, and again at 3-5pm: which leaves me plenty of time to play with clay.

Nerd

#31 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:44 PM

nerd, get a really loud alarm clock and set it for 2pm so you have enough time to get yourself cleaned up  AND OUT OF THE STUDIO for those afternoon inspections. :rolleyes:

ONCE IN, IT IS HARD TO LEAVE.

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#32 glazenerd

glazenerd

Macro Crystalline Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Mo.

Posted 17 October 2016 - 10:38 PM

Lady:

someone has to pay for my dream pugger and press :)

Bought the wife a wheel last week, have to get me one too. 

Nerd

#33 Evelyne Schoenmann

Evelyne Schoenmann

Ceramic Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland and Italy

Posted 18 October 2016 - 10:10 AM

ayjay: nice ones. I especially like the orange juice goblet! And oh yes, the brush-"holders". I have plenty of seconds for that as well... ;)

Evelyne Schoenmann
Studio: schoenmann ceramics
www.schoenmann-ceramics.ch

Advisory Board Member;
Potters Council of The
American Ceramic Society

Board Member of Swiss Ceramics Association

#34 SydneyGee

SydneyGee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 18 October 2016 - 11:04 AM

Sorry I am late to my own party! :rolleyes:  I had not even seen the post, thus my lack of response.

This is a little planter in my "moonlight" series. That is the name of the glaze, and I did a set of 6 pieces with similar styles. I gave this planter to my MIL who proudly shows me her plant everyday and tells me how happy it is in it's fancy new pot!

I have a gazillion other things that came out of the kiln, and I plan on doing some lifestyle photos of them soon (too busy making, not enough time photographing!) ;)

Lovely pots everyone! I am so happy you all engaged in my idea. I think it would be fun to even have a sub-section of the forum devoted to pottery in action, like a little more involved version of our gallery.

Attached Files

Might as well admit it, i'm addicted to clay....

#35 Rae Reich

Rae Reich

Rae - Unusual Clay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationOrange, CA

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:05 AM

Since I am not doing functional it was hard to find ceramics in action in my Italian house. But maybe the fruit bowl will do?

Evelyne

attachicon.gif20161013_121434.jpg[/quote]

Your fruit bowl is perfect form/function. I like doing cutouts too. Is that a PEAR? Italian style?

#36 Rae Reich

Rae Reich

Rae - Unusual Clay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationOrange, CA

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:12 AM

attachicon.gifIMG_20161015_130617.jpg
Attempting to attach photos to à post!
Two pictures are from the Ft. Toulouse Indian village and one at the bread oven showing a French butter bell and fresh butter made from but not pictured ceramic churn..
Alabamaattachicon.gifIMG_20161015_124258.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20161015_124105.jpg

Looks like a potter would be a valuable member of the community! I have (somewhere) a copy of a 1700's engraving of an itinerant potter hauling a great net of pots and mugs on his back and singing (rough translation) "I love to hear the sound of breaking pots". :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users