How Is Made

Hey there, 

I've found these projects and I know only a few things, we are talking about ceramics white porcelain, glaze and slipcasting.

Any thoughts about the way these shapes are made? I doubt that these are build in one piece, I suppose that these are joined after the first fire session (?) or...

Example 1

Example 2

How about this one, could be made using a shape like this to create a plaster mold?

What kind of porcelain will fit best these requirements liquid in molds or clay?

Thanks

Uhhhhh start with some basic (whatever you can find) slip casting. As you start to work with the process what is possible and what is difficult will come around. What you are looking at is a combination of experience and meticulous perfectionism.

Most pieces get joined at the leather-hard stage. I see no reason to believe these were done after being fired.

(I suspect the complex ones are made with one mold with several pieces. Never underestimate the amount of effort to hide the signs of how something was done!)

The round form is two pice the cone inside is a plug-with a drain hole -my best guess.

If you want 10,000 of them send the master form to a master mold maker and ask for the rubber working mold casts. That way you can cast the working molds yourself. I have done this 25 years ago with a 3 piece mold.I made about 800-1200 working molds from that rubber mold over 15 years. We sold aroma therapy lamps by the pallet full in the 90's to a large company. I will add I hate the slip business and I farmed most of the work out as I'm not a person who likes the same thing over 50,ooo times. I have 5 lamps left on a shelf. They now cast them all in china and they come apart from the heating and cooling candle heat-thats why they bought from us now they just went back to china during an expansion phase that company is Frontier Herbs which is sold in stores nation wide here in the states.

I know more than I will say.

Anyway that mold is not that hard for master mold person to make.

Good to know, thanks again.

On the author's page, section Moment I've found this picture; on the right side there is a 3 piece mold(?) but there is something more and here maybe you can help, that plastic box with red rubber(?) round side Loofen logo on it :)

Look, nobody wants to copy, I am curious about the technique.

Archived