#21 rakukuku

rakukuku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 08 October 2016 - 01:53 PM

well one day I was eating a little packet of tuna with a spoon. because tuna stinks, i didn't want to put the packet in the inside trash at the studio so I took it directly to the dumpster. A friend saw me walking away from the dumpster with a spoon in hand.  She said "I hope walking away from the dumpster with a spoon does not mean what it looks like".  LOL, no I do not eat out of dumpsters but would not be above grabbing something I thought was useful. 

There is a scrap yard near our studio and we all cruise by there looking for interesting found objects.   rakuku

#22 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,313 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 08 October 2016 - 02:26 PM

well one day I was eating a little packet of tuna with a spoon. because tuna stinks, i didn't want to put the packet in the inside trash at the studio so I took it directly to the dumpster. A friend saw me walking away from the dumpster with a spoon in hand.  She said "I hope walking away from the dumpster with a spoon does not mean what it looks like".  LOL, no I do not eat out of dumpsters but would not be above grabbing something I thought was useful. 

There is a scrap yard near our studio and we all cruise by there looking for interesting found objects.   rakuku

Peter's dumpster will never have good stuff in it-all of that is in his yard-no need to even think about good stuff from that one. Arcata Scrap well thats another story .

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#23 terrim8

terrim8

oh oh

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:53 PM

I guess I fall into the "not collecting anymore" category. I've been trying hard to get rid of stuff & I share the basement /studio with my husband's shop and all the stuff he's collected over the years. I have unfortunately been responsible for cleaning out two houses recently- one an uncle that passed away & the other place for one who moved to assisted living. Not fun. Makes me desperately want to become a minimalist except the rest of the family here won't cooperate. I have to get rid of things "on the sly".

#24 Evelyne Schoenmann

Evelyne Schoenmann

Ceramic Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland and Italy

Posted 12 October 2016 - 04:32 AM

I am happy to read that I am not the only one who's dumpster diving (I like that expression very much! It's like a compliment...). And Marcia, my husband is always embarrassed too when he is with me when I rummage in dumpsters. At the beginning he was standing a few steps away and looking the other way, but nowadays he's walking fast far away from any dumpster... (giggle). I should change too to the "not collecting category" like a few of you, because my space in the studio is limited, but.... (a big BUT). 

I will do a "show us your most precious dumpster diving piece" in a few weeks in the QOTW, so go down, up, out to your studio and take a pic and stay tuned!

Evelyne

Evelyne Schoenmann
Studio: schoenmann ceramics
www.schoenmann-ceramics.ch

Advisory Board Member;
Potters Council of The
American Ceramic Society

Board Member of Swiss Ceramics Association

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users