• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 ChenowethArts

ChenowethArts

Senior Geek & Whimsical Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee - Where at least a few studios make something besides music.

Posted 29 September 2016 - 10:47 AM

"I tried the mirror-thing once, but all I ever saw was the clay piece on the wheel."

-Dracula

:rolleyes:

Paul Chenoweth
Visit/Like me on Facebook
Shop Etsy New!
Connect on Twitter
Mostly Ceramics on Pinterest

#22 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 29 September 2016 - 04:22 PM

the only mirror in my house that shows the good stuff is the one at my wheel.   all the rest have some fat, old woman living inside them.  i avoid her.

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#23 Denice

Denice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts
  • LocationWichita, Kansas

Posted 30 September 2016 - 03:29 PM

I have seen that fat old lady in my studio also,  I think that is why I haven't found a mirror yet.  There is a dollar tree about eight miles from me,  I'll have to stop by next time I am in the area.  Denice

#24 Pugaboo

Pugaboo

Lifetime artist 3rd year potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • LocationHelen, GA

Posted 30 September 2016 - 08:26 PM

Hey do we have a fat old lady stalker showing up in random potters studios? I think so since I have seen her here as well. Maybe we should put out a warning or something to let new potters know to keep an eye out for the fat old lady pottery that might show up in their studios. Give them a heads up or something to prepare them for her arrival, wouldn't want them to be frightened when one day they look up and catch a quick glimpse of her in their mirror. As far as we know she is benign and appears to simply be drawn to creative potters.

Oldlady and Denice when did you last see her maybe we can get an idea of the direction she is headed in next. I personally saw her just this week here in Georgia.

T
The world is but a canvas to the imagination - Henry David Thoreau

#25 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 30 September 2016 - 10:23 PM

Never used a mirror! What a marvelous idea. this old dog can learn new tricks! Thank you Evelyne and all!

Now where do I mount the mirror?! In my studio there is . . . very little bare wall space. Maybe on a cabinet door, or elsewhere.

best,

Pres

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . . http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#26 terrim8

terrim8

oh oh

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 30 September 2016 - 11:33 PM

I have a mirror in front of the wheel but most of the time I don't pay attention to it. Maybe I will tomorrow and see if it helps again. Right now I have reminder notes stuck all over it .

#27 Joseph F

Joseph F

no longer burnt out... yay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:22 AM

I have a rack in front of my wheel that I put all my bats on so I can just reach for the next one. I gorilla taped mine to that pole. 

#28 ayjay

ayjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK.

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:23 AM

Hey do we have a fat old lady stalker showing up in random potters studios?

That could explain how my belly looks in the mirror - but how does she always know what I'm going to be wearing? :unsure: ;)

#29 PRankin

PRankin

Ceramic Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY, USA

Posted 01 October 2016 - 12:33 PM

I have a mirror propped up against the wall right behind my wheel when I'm working inside. When outside I'm sitting on a bench so there is no way to prop up a mirror. I must be a very messy potter because there are a lot of clay splashes on the mirror it could use some sort of windshield wiper system.

Paul

#30 terrim8

terrim8

oh oh

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:05 PM

Ha ha Paul! That's why i gave up on my mirror & started to use it for reminder notes- its such a mess. But I keep the notes just above the splash line.

#31 Evelyne Schoenmann

Evelyne Schoenmann

Ceramic Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland and Italy

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:33 AM

:D :D

Reading all your answers I know why I missed you all so much during my month in Barcelona. You are a funny bunch indeed!

So most of you are using a mirror, if only to splash it full of slip, or to stick notes on it. I think when I am back from Italy I try the mirror thing for a while. I am sure if somebody would take a pic of me throwing, I would be shocked by the twisted body...

Not many mirrors in my house. Only one, near the entrance/exit door; to check if I have slip splash on my trousers (or elsewhere) before going out... Normally I am not very vain....

;)

Evelyne

Evelyne Schoenmann
Studio: schoenmann ceramics
www.schoenmann-ceramics.ch

Advisory Board Member;
Potters Council of The
American Ceramic Society

Board Member of Swiss Ceramics Association

#32 irenepots

irenepots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationJersey Shore

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:29 PM

and my 2 cents - I've been using a make-up mirror that swivels, and so is easy to position, and sits on a stand about 4 inches high.  It fits in the space beyond my  splash pan and I find it very helpful to see my work from another angle.   Sometimes I even clean it off and then I can really see what's going on.

#33 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:48 AM

While throwing the other day, I realized something about the mirror thing. I have developed a habit of getting up off the wheel, and looking at the pots before cutting, often from a crouching angle, and above. This is a forced effort to get up and move more often, in response to getting older the T2D, and visitations of Arthur. So in the long run, having a mirror would be counter productive to the habit of more movement.

best,

Pres

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . . http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#34 irenepots

irenepots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationJersey Shore

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:54 PM

That's an interesting consideration for us geezers.  Not that I'm suggesting you're a geezer but I sure am .   I do tend to crab walk when I get up from throwing.  Another keep-moving idea would be to  leave the prepared clay lumps somewhere away from the wheel so I have to get up to begin each new pot. My dog won't like this tho.  He gets up every time I do.

I'll talk it over with him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users