Dear friends

I thank Pres from all my heart for taking over the QOTW for me for the time I was abroad. I had a good time in Spain, but 3 days into my Symposium in Barcelona my mother-in-law died in Switzerland, and the good times were saddened a bit.

I am back now and my question for you is: are you looking into a mirror while throwing? For checking on the shape of the object you're doing? Mirror or no mirror is a very personal thing I've learned. I myself am throwing without mirror, but my neck sometimes is hurting from bending my body to the right....

What about you all?

Love from Switzerland

Evelyne

Before I renovated my studio in 2013, I had a mirror mounted on the wall, at wheel height, about 4 feet away. I could look to my left a see what my pot looked like from 8 ft away. It's so much easier to see form issues from a distance. In my renovated studio, I do not have any wall space for the mirror that would work. I guess that's the drawback of using all of my available space for storage. 

Anyhow, with recent discussions about throwing with mirrors, I've been thinking about my mirror and I miss my mirror! 

the mirror installed on my wheel is what is left from a long one that i put in a rental apartment over the garage at my old house.  it had a round top, now the piece left has been sliced across the circular part and it stands on the front of the table built around the wheel.  never have to touch it and it stands at the exact angle to see the wheelhead, the pot being trimmed, the giffin grip holding the pot being slipped and my cat, who loves to drink the slurry water.

no back problems, thank heavens.

Used one for one day, left it stuck to a piece of clay on the edge of the splash tray, the clay dried out and the mirror fell and broke.

Should really replace it, but haven't yet. I did like it for that one day though....

I use a mirror that sits next to my window. Close fit . I like looking at my larger orbs as I go. The mirror works well for that. 

I had a visitor ask laughingly, "why do you have a mirror there?" as if it was a vanity thing. I explained that it spares me from standing back and looking at the form.

Evelyne, thank you again for organizing the symposium. Although you had some days away for your family's loss of your Mother-in-law, you were a very big part of it all.

Marcia

Haven't done any throwing for a while but I did have a mirror up. We have had some minor earthquakes due to the fracking in Oklahoma and it shook my mirror off the wall and cracked it up. I am looking around at garage sales for something inexpensive in case it happens again.  Denice

I do use mirrors, an old 3 part hinged lady's dresser mirror for throwing on one wheel that has a bat system attached  and another single surface mirror for trimming on another wheel that has my Giffin Grip attached. They both are placed within 1 ft. of the rear of the wheel, so I'm using them to check on symmetry. I first learned about using a mirror in a workshop 15 years ago with Angela Fina and have never thrown without one since. The need to bend uncomfortably to the right is almost conquered.

I had a visitor ask laughingly, "why do you have a mirror there?" as if it was a vanity thing. I explained that it spares me from standing back and looking at the form.

The first time I saw a mirror by my friend's wheel in her studio I told her, "If you hang it on this wall nearby you can see yourself much better. Now you have to bend way over." She laughed at me and once she explained I laughed too. 

Reminds me of the poem “Mirror mirror on my wallâ€,reformed in my version (on a" humour note")..

I, just want to be fabulous, pretty and tall (all my pots refer me as saying )…

Mirror mirror, if i change the shape ,

Maybe someone will like the arched

Mirror mirror, don’t you see?

What you show is ruining me (I say no not this another shape/dimension)..not this till infinite pots are dumped..

Mirror decided to reply:

Don't you think you see?

It is not true..this misery is within you..find oneself what you want to build rather youâ€ll lose all control..

Thereafter distance myself from “Mirror†I have only my image and my Soul ..

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes ,art is knowing which one to keep".

Hey do we have a fat old lady stalker showing up in random potters studios? I think so since I have seen her here as well. Maybe we should put out a warning or something to let new potters know to keep an eye out for the fat old lady pottery that might show up in their studios. Give them a heads up or something to prepare them for her arrival, wouldn't want them to be frightened when one day they look up and catch a quick glimpse of her in their mirror. As far as we know she is benign and appears to simply be drawn to creative potters.

Oldlady and Denice when did you last see her maybe we can get an idea of the direction she is headed in next. I personally saw her just this week here in Georgia.

T

Never used a mirror! What a marvelous idea. this old dog can learn new tricks! Thank you Evelyne and all!

Now where do I mount the mirror?! In my studio there is . . . very little bare wall space. Maybe on a cabinet door, or elsewhere.

best,

Pres

Archived