Transporting Ceramics

use a lot of bubble wrap. Put in a heavy box. there should be no movement when you shake the box. Then put it in a larger box with 2" clearance on all sides and stuff with either styrofoam, popcorn as Pres uses, densely packed crumbled newspaper, so there is no movement. Depends on the size how you ship.

DHL ships internationally as does USPS or FEDEX

Marcia

If it is going through customs while you are not present: a box for every single piece. These boxes can then be inside a bigger box.

What may happen is the box will be opened, emptied, and then thrown back together without care. You packaging must allow some not-so-bright person to repack it correctly.

• 3 weeks later...

Unless your pieces are packed in a wooden crate, it's helpful to reinforce the box top-to-bottom at the center of large boxes, in case of pressure being applied there. Make an X or tubular column of corrugated cardboard with the ribs running longwise.

Also, the "two inches on every side" rule includes top and bottom.

I would not trust crumpled newspaper as packing, especially for heavy pieces. If you crumple it really densely it no longer has cushioning value, and shipping/shaking heavy pieces will likely crush newspaper still further, reducing its cushion and increasing shake-space. My advice is to go with bubble wrap, peanuts and airbags. If you use peanuts surrounding a pot in a box, put the pot in a bag first so the peanuts don't shift into the pot.

The key to keeping pots from migrating through peanuts and ending up at the outer wall of the box is to put a piece of cardboard on all sides of the pot, essentially building a small box around the pot. The flat surface of the cardboard can't push through the peanuts the way a smooth round pot can. I cut up odd sized boxes that aren't good for shipping and use them for this purpose.

Bubble wrap is an expensive way to pack pots. Where I buy my supplies, biodegradable peanuts are $1.35 per cubic foot. A cubic foot of bubble wrap is $7.20. Bubble wrap is not good for filling voids. It is meant to provide cushioning between objects. But I think foam sheets do a better job of that, because it protects the edges of pots better.

I don't buy peanuts very often, because people donate them to me, and a lot of the inventory I buy comes packed in them.

i agree with Neil on the foam sheets.  I have quite the collection of them, from stuff I order online.  It's easy to cut down, and wrap wares, and cushions quite nicely.

As others have said, movement is the enemy.  Keep things packed snug, and you will be fine.  I've hauled greenware pieces doing this, and haven't lost one yet.

If you are sending one or two pieces-use bubble wrap and foam sheets.

I always need to ship as much as I can get into a given box-

In the past few weeks I had to ship 24 mugs 25 sponge holders a few whip pitchers and some soap dishes.All in one box

I use cardboard to wrap each piece -tape it closed and pack them tight-these go into another inner box and I stuff all loose space with peanuts.

That box fits into another with thin foam sheets or peanuts around it.

The final box is 24x18x18 usually about 60#s total weight.

Zero breakage is the goal.  

• 1 month later...

Packing for shows I use plastic open top (rectangle milk ) crates that will stack. I like the thin packing foam that comes in a roll and will tear off in 12"x12" pieces. I will fill a crate with plates on edge with 1 layer of foam between them. The crate weighs Around 50 lbs when full. I find that as long as there is foam between the items and it does not move they are fine. Most crates do not get over filled so that they can stack. If I have larger pieces that will not fit below the rim of the crate they will be on top of the stack. I will then stack 4 and dolly them into the show. Usually have about 16 crates with a 2 1/2 hr set up including the booth. The crates get covered in burlap and hold up additional shelves.

post-66819-0-48482500-1481040805_thumb.jpeg

post-66819-0-48482500-1481040805_thumb.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

...transporting or shipping? Big diff.

If  the OP is taking about taking pots to a show, which I think is what he means, I second the foam or small bubble wrap and matching crates that stack.

Back in the day it was cardboard boxes and scads of newspaper. The modern age makes all this that much easier.

Potters always have more work than anyone else...ugh.

I just transported my dinner set, mug collection, ceramic collection and unsold work 1800 miles without any breakage. I got some of those plate packing kits at HD. Packed large pots in bubble wrap and styrofoam sheets and peanuts. Single boxed. Just made sure all the boxes did not shift by strapping them in place. Very happy everything made the trip!

Shipping and transporting are very different.When I ship to galleries, I double wrap with bubble wrap, make sure everything is tight and tape the box shut, then line 2 inches of foam sheets between the packed box and the outer box. Hardware stores where I was living, stopped carrying 4 x 8 sheets of foam. Now it is 1 x 4 panels. Not as solid.

Marcia

need to find a car body shop willing to give me the blanket sized pieces of foam the factory sends wrapped around new doors.  stuff is great, it cuts neatly and has a back that takes tape well.  the foamy soft side is perfect for putting next to delicate pots and the firm plastic sheet on the back allows for writing with a sharpie.  i made a few "envelopes" for some of my higher priced large trays.  buyers liked them to carry home their new purchases.

it is about 3/8 thick and FREE!

Archived