Barrel Fired Ware Question

I have been barrel firing for a little better than a year, and I know they are not food safe or water tight.  My sister asked if there was anything that could be coated on the inside of the vessels to make them water tight so they could be used for cut flowers.  I would appreciate any suggestions and feedback, as this thought never crossed my mind as I have told everyone that they are non-functional.  

I have kept the shapes to "vessel" shapes to discourage food use (no plates, cups, etc.) some of the shapes would lend themselves to cut down plastic bottles, and I have made that suggestion to several family members, but the idea flew like a lead balloon.  I think in our convenience based society people would like them with a sealed interior instead of the insert.  Will take your suggestions to heart, coat the interiors with the above mentioned substances, and put some water in them and let them sit on an absorbent surface for a span of time to see if they leak.  I already put tung oil on the outside of them post-firing, but I don't think that will do the trick.  I am currently using Laguna Raku clay and terra sigs on most of the work.  Bisque to ^014 and then barrel fire so I'm pretty sure the clay isn't vitrified. Thanks for taking your valuable time to give me your thoughts, I really appreciate it and would welcome more suggestions.   You guys are the best.  Concrete sealer (image of me smacking my forehead) now why didn't I think of that, and sodium silicate I never would have dreamed of since I am not mechanically inclined.  

I bought a vase long time ago that leaked.  Glaze was crazed.  Other half used some sort of fibre glass (used to fix car bodies?) and the vase ended up with a pink lining.  Several years on the pink lining crazed and finally disintegrated and I scraped it out.  The vase doesn't leak any more.

Being in the pottery business for 40 years I have seen a few miracle products that your poured in and they sealed the inner surface from water or lotion or soap.

I also have seen many an angry customer who had ruined tables and stuff from all who tried using these products. I never have and to this day will not use them. They all claims to seal but been around enough to know that false claims are everywhere.

I feel the same about gluing plastic lotion tops on thats why I have threads on mine and do not rely on glue. Basically its a poor concept.

Porous ware is just that ware that weeps. Except it.Thats may 2 cents.

I have seen the unhappy customer side of the attempts  to change it top much.

Our job is to provide wares that work and work well. I never forget that and its made me very successful in ceramics. I really have trouble with crappy fixes as they come back on all of us who make our living in clay.

Raku is porous except it.Just put a non porous object inside the pot.

Archived