Photo

Qotw: What Form Do You Least Enjoy Creating, Whether Thrown Or Handbuilt, And Why?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:02 AM

So a few weeks ago we did the form you most enjoy creating. Now clue us in on the form you really don't like doing, or struggle with more than any other.

For me it is pitchers. I really have never found a pitcher shape that I like to throw. I have done pitchers with round bottom portions with a neck out of that rising to a spout. I have done the narrower base rising to a wider high belly then short neck and spout. I have also done some pitchers that used a little reconstruction using an embroidery hoop, and reversing parts 180 degrees. However, I have never discovered a pitcher that I was completely satisfied with. 

How about you, is there a form you can't throw, or make, or one you struggle with design wise, or one you just don't like?

best,

Pres

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . . http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#2 Diesel Clay

Diesel Clay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta, Canada

Posted 22 September 2016 - 09:19 AM

I can't bring myself to make yarn bowls. As a knitter, I think they're a poorly designed tool. As a potter, most of them are just ugly. It's not always the potter's aesthetic choices, they're just bad as a form.
I make a knitting jar with a wide opening in the lid instead.
edited to add photo.

Attached Files

#3 SydneyGee

SydneyGee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 22 September 2016 - 01:24 PM

I love to belly out vases, but I honestly just hate trimming them. I struggle with finding/making chucks that hold the form well to trim (I prefer to throw a little thicker on a vase since I work with soft clay then trim afterwards). There are few forms I don't like making, but plenty I dislike trimming ie: anything with a long or delicate neck, or something very tall and narrow.

The neck got warped when I was trimming it on the chuck.

Attached File  34.jpg   66.81KB   1 downloads

Might as well admit it, i'm addicted to clay....

#4 glazenerd

glazenerd

Macro Crystalline Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Mo.

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:58 PM

The form I like the most is geometric crystalline tile. The form I like the least is geometric crystalline tile. Why> because my obsessive compulsion to figure out how it works drives me insane, and those around me. Same reason I like it. is the mystery of solving the riddle.

Nerd

#5 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 22 September 2016 - 03:28 PM

Sydney, 

I feel your pain. I had problems with long chalice stems for my communion sets. In the end I ended up making a chuck using basic plumbing parts that I use on my Griffin Grip. They are readily available at Lowes. You can see it in action at my blog site.

best,

Pres

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . . http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#6 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,304 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 22 September 2016 - 04:32 PM

Never have made a Yarn bowl-with no plans on making them. I have not had enough requests on them.

I struggle on tumblers and do not like making them

Any time i make a new form I need to get enough requests so I know the market wants it. 

Whatever comes in something is going out as my make list is always 30-35 forms-I do not let it get over than.

Forms long gone from that list are planters,pincushions (nobody sews much anymore)oil lamps ,aromatherapy lamps,colanders ,tea sets,saki sets,Jugs.Water crocks with spigots-

They have all been replaced with better sellers-casserroles are going away soon as well-slow sales

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#7 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 22 September 2016 - 07:24 PM

I like the look of tall narrow vases, but I don't like making them.  It's just not a form, that I've had a lot of call to make, so I just need to practice more.

"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#8 ronfire

ronfire

Ronfire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationMerritt BC Canada

Posted 22 September 2016 - 07:41 PM

Handles....hate making handles and fastening them on. I always struggle with them and am not happy with the results. I find that with the extruder it is easier but I still don't like fastening them.. The last set of mugs went better but still would rather be throwing something instead.......

Did I say I don't like handles?

#9 Joseph F

Joseph F

Always Experimenting

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:43 PM

I like making mugs/cups/bowls, but I can't for the life of me make a good tankard type mug. I have made one, in my life that I am happy with and it was the first thing I ever sold online:

il_570xN.907481155_55uj.jpg

For some reason I can not get the straight part of the top and the bottom curve into it right. There are some beautiful tankards out there, but mine are all terrible. I hammer one or two almost every firing because I dont like them. DARN THEM! You would think with such a simple form I could figure it out, but I can't! Just can't do it. 

#10 Joseph F

Joseph F

Always Experimenting

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:48 PM

I love to belly out vases, but I honestly just hate trimming them. I struggle with finding/making chucks that hold the form well to trim (I prefer to throw a little thicker on a vase since I work with soft clay then trim afterwards). There are few forms I don't like making, but plenty I dislike trimming ie: anything with a long or delicate neck, or something very tall and narrow.

The neck got warped when I was trimming it on the chuck.

attachicon.gif34.jpg

Why are you trimming them upside down? Why not just wet the bottom and stick it to the wheelhead and trim bottom to top? That is how I trim almost all my jars with skinny necks. Is that the wrong way or something. I just always did it that way.

Just realized maybe you put a foot on them? I dunno. All my jars and stuff have flat bottoms so I lick and stickum to the wheelhead and start trimming to get final shape I want.

#11 GiselleNo5

GiselleNo5

Clay Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • LocationLos Osos, California

Posted 23 September 2016 - 01:22 AM

I like making mugs/cups/bowls, but I can't for the life of me make a good tankard type mug.

For some reason I can not get the straight part of the top and the bottom curve into it right. There are some beautiful tankards out there, but mine are all terrible. I hammer one or two almost every firing because I dont like them. DARN THEM! You would think with such a simple form I could figure it out, but I can't! Just can't do it. 

The simplest ones are sometimes the most difficult. 

I create order from chaos. And also, chaos from order.

https://www.giselleno5ceramics.com/

GiselleNo5.etsy.com

YouTube-logo-full_color.png?resize=50%2C          instahack.png?1

#12 GiselleNo5

GiselleNo5

Clay Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • LocationLos Osos, California

Posted 23 September 2016 - 01:23 AM

I desperately want to make a "pilsner" type tumbler (tall, slender at the base to a belly up near the top) and it looks SO EASY. It is NOT easy. I will eventually get that form because I'm determined but currently the attempts are driving me crazy. 

Like this: http://www.webstaura...se/5511604.html

I create order from chaos. And also, chaos from order.

https://www.giselleno5ceramics.com/

GiselleNo5.etsy.com

YouTube-logo-full_color.png?resize=50%2C          instahack.png?1

#13 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 03:53 AM

I can't bring myself to make yarn bowls. As a knitter, I think they're a poorly designed tool. As a potter, most of them are just ugly. It's not always the potter's aesthetic choices, they're just bad as a form.
I make a knitting jar with a wide opening in the lid instead.
edited to add photo.

SO your knitting stays with that lid till it is finished, well there's a way to make those last wee bitties get finished, unless you have an endless supply of jars.. I guess you could have

I guess with a wide enough mouth you can get everything through except maybe a big throw!

Or you just break the yarn.

Got m thinking.

For me the form is a plate, it is so easy to throw an ugly plate, so easy not to get the rim to sit where you want it, so easy not to leave enough clay on the base, so easy to make it too heavy.

I'm gonna focus on plates for the next month.

Thank you Pres, I'll be watching myself!

#14 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 03:55 AM

I like making mugs/cups/bowls, but I can't for the life of me make a good tankard type mug. I have made one, in my life that I am happy with and it was the first thing I ever sold online:

il_570xN.907481155_55uj.jpg

Beautiful! Well just go and make a dozen more. I know what you omean, I recently tried making tankards for a friend who brews honey beer......I always like drinking beer out of a fine glass anyway.....

#15 firenflux

firenflux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 23 September 2016 - 05:22 AM

Anything large. I just don't have the skills to throw larger than 14" tall or more than about 7 lbs. I've made some stacked pots but they go out of center when I stand to finish them. It's a lot of clay I end up procrastinating recycling.

#16 Kellykopp

Kellykopp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSE Indiana

Posted 23 September 2016 - 05:39 AM

The opposite of firenflux, I prefer not doing anything small, I don't have the patience or the finesse to do small things.  Something for me to work on.

#17 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, MSU-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,337 posts
  • LocationRed Lodge, Montana

Posted 23 September 2016 - 06:16 AM

I think large bowls. They take a lot of clay and IMO not challenging nor elegant. I'd much rather go taller with an interesting form.

Just my opinion. I promised one to a friend.(sigh)

Marcia

Marcia Selsor, Professor Emerita,Montana State University-Billings
[http://www.marciaselsorstudio.com

#18 Joseph F

Joseph F

Always Experimenting

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 23 September 2016 - 06:29 AM

I think large bowls. They take a lot of clay and IMO not challenging nor elegant. I'd much rather go taller with an interesting form.

Just my opinion. I promised one to a friend.(sigh)

Marcia

It's hard to make a large bowl interesting! The bigger the bowl the more work it is to make it look interesting and its just a bowl, so the insides is always filled with stuff and the outside is hard to see unless your looking at it below the table level. They are just not very rewarding to get super creative with.

#19 Denice

Denice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationWichita, Kansas

Posted 23 September 2016 - 07:45 AM

It is also pitchers for me, I have never even come close to making one I like.  I study other pitchers I do like and try to figure out what it is that makes them special.  Love teapots hate pitchers very strange.    Denice

#20 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 23 September 2016 - 07:53 AM

Made some large bowls in grad school 28" diameter. My sister in law has been using it as a magazine rack for years. They were as folks have said. . . boring. I am now making some bowls that use texture before shaping. They are pretty cool, but again with the larger ones you don't see much of the outside. 

best,

Pres

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users