Changing kiln from 3 phase to single pahse

I am having this problem right now, bought a second hand custom made single phase electric kiln (UK) but when our electrician was wiring it into the studio he said the internal wiring was three phase.

Emailed back the guy who sold us the kiln who said the woman he acquired it from only had single phase power, so it is all a bit confusing. That is why I am here for some help.

Not had a chance to speak to the electrician and no idea when he is coming back because this is all organized through the local council. Had single phase wiring put in with a 32A isolator switch. Kiln is 6kw.

Does anybody have an answer if it is three or single phase? Here are some pictures. If you need any more info I can try too help. (fixed the picture size)

Wires for the plug, two black, 1 red, 1 blue and 1 yellow and green

I have no idea why there are 5, the yellow and green attaches to the back of the board so I assume that is the earth. The four other cables come in and split of to four different ceramic bridge looking bits. Then go from there to two different little boxes, which look like transformers then on to the elements. Many more problems setting up a pottery than I imagined dry.gif but I am loving it laugh.gif

Three prongs on the plug with a digital controller. Have attached it too the plug and are now into the second firing, she reaches temperature quickly and works well.

Who knows why it had the 5 wires because it works fine on single phase, maybe it is so they can share the load huh.gif and if it was three phase there would have been a live wire missing.

Thank you for the help anyway

Archived