?turquoise Yellow Salt Glaze

Diz

HI All,

Trying to find a couple new glazes and am interested in  a turquoise yellow salt glaze that I found in  an old clayart topic from 2000 by Dr Tom Roess.  I understand all the ingredients but it is the quantities of colorants that do not make sense to me.  I know there are participants here that will be able to explain it to me.  (Thanks for your help).

Here is the recipe:

TURQUOISE YELLOW SALT CONE 10 REDUCTION
Neph Sy 63.9
Dolomite 21.1
Ultrox 16   (use superpax)
OM 4 clay  4.3
Bentonite 4
Also add
1/8 =25 Cobalt Carb
2 =25 Copper Carb
To 10,000 grams add 1/2 C. Muriatic Acid

My question pertains to the  amounts of cobalt carb and also the copper carb.  The amounts seem incredibly high -might the base recipe  have been written  for 105.3 plus 4 bentonite grams, and the colorant additions were listed  for  a 10,000 gram recipe?  Is my guess anywhere close to explaining this.  Would appreciate help with the correct colorant amounts - cobalt is too expensive to waste!

I will be firing this in a gas kiln fired with LP, to cone 10 R - not a salt kiln

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Diz

I think the =25 is some weird way that the % sign has converted/displayed/archived.

So you just have 1/8% cobalt and 2% copper.

This other recipe I found kinda backs that idea up except they are using 1/4 cobalt instead of 1/8. http://cindywennin.com/turquoise-yellow-salt-glaze/

Turquoise Yellow Salt GlazeCone 10 ReductionNepheline Syenite 63.9Dolomite 21.1Zircopax 16OM4 Ball Clay 4.3———————-105.3Add:4% Bentonite0.2% Cobalt Carb2.0% Copper Carb

Joel Edmondson: I think the =25 is some weird way that the % sign has converted/displayed/archived.

Nice spot, 25 is the hexadecimal HTML code for the % character.

http://www.ascii.cl/htmlcodes.htm

JohnnyK: I'm curious about what the HCl does in the recipe and whay it called for 1/2 cup in 10Kg if you are only mixing 100g...

I suspect that the HCl is mitigating the deflocculant effects of solubles from the neph sy.

I think that the recipe was an attempt at a scale-free one (i.e. in %)  that drifted a little to total 105.3

Today was glaze making day-I checked all my altered yellow and yellow salt recipes and they are all Iron based but the %s are all around 1% (iron is strong) so my guess is yours is just fine.

Good luck and let us know what turns out.

My test sample turned out as I hoped, a soft semi matt yellow/gold with speckled iron showing thru.  The color I was hoping for but my small bowl is ugly so I am t proud to show it here - will also have to figure out how to post pictures.  I have a larger batch mixed and hope to glaze and fire on the weekend and then will post a picture.  That was my success in the kiln - and luckily partly because I got what I was hoping for.  Dumbest thing I've done lately ....6 identical small bowls with new test glazes fired in the kiln.  I marked each with a number on the bottom...with wax..then fired...wax burned off ..glazes matured...2 successes..4 failures. Now which of the 5 remaining glaze tests is the other glaze success?  So I have 5 more tests to put into my next firing.  I love clay!!

Archived